KTM 4T owners: Looking for sympathy

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Here is the result of an hour of my life I'll never get back. :bang:

Why KTM doesn't improve the design on this one stupid but important item i'll never know. Thank goodness for aftermarket, way to go Brap.

If you own a KTM RFS and don't know what this is don't worry, you will soon enough. :nener:

Attachments

• what a pain.jpg
    what a pain.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 442

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Short oil screen, drain bolt, bolt extractor still attached. The bolt is an allen head and rounds out super easily. So easy that I drilled right though it in about 2.5 seconds with a cheap Craftsman carbide bit then of course destroyed the screen. Luckily had a spare. Could have been worse. I've seen pictures of guys boogering their cases up pretty bad having to get them out with a chisel.

I think the oiling/filtering system on the new KTM thumpers is completely different.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
ah yes, I am very liberal with the anti-seize on that little part, my good man. I'm thinkin' about changing it out for a hex head.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
I've heard of this several times.But,on my 02 520 and countless oil changes I have not had this happed yet.!
I always clean the dirt out of the socket before puting the allen wrench on it and it also helps to not use an extension and to stay at the same angle

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Same here, 2 RFS and 2 250Fs (new style) plus several other bikes done in my shop for 0 stripped bolts. I clean them up, solid tap on the socket then use never sieze from that day forward.

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
A tip: if it starts to strip use a little valve grinding compound on the wrench surface. Then change it to a brap or other one with the hex head.

Top Bottom