Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I'm considering buying one of these for my about to turn seven year old. He's coming off of a JR 50. Do any of you have one? Any problems I should anticipate? All comments and/or advice appreciated. :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Nobody?:(

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The mini adventure is still a "mini bike" and has about the same power delivery. If your child has been riding a jr50 well I would suggest looking at other bikes before buying the KTM Mini. The Jr & Sr Adventure is a different story, they are quite peppy. What kind of riding does he do? How big is he?

My daughter quickly out grew her mini adventure and it was her 1st bike. She's small for her age at 51" tall and about 45lbs. I bought her a SX65 as a replacement for the 50 but it was a little too much for her, luckily I ran into someone that offered me the same amount I paid for it and sold it to buy a KX60. She loves this bike and it has a Pro-Circut pipe and Ohlins shock on it. i bought it used for Christmas and paid $1200. for it with a new bottom end, new cylinder & top end as well as new tires. It's a 99 model.

I thinks she's glad she went ahead & moved up to something that she had to use a clutch also. This took a little time but once I figured out how to explain the clutch and shifting she has no problems.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Vic, I pulled one off a kid at the track one time (pinned by his leg, poor little fellow was just hanging out, waiting for someone to come by). The forward rotating kick starter was different, but it fired up first kick after being down. Like Jeff said- teeny. And with the centrifigul clutch, I don't think you'll be doing him any good. But it looks bigger than a JR 50.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Jeff Gilbert- He just play rides in the woods and at a small local track. He's about 52" tall and weighs about 55lbs. . I'm not sure that I want him to have much more power, right now. His Hannahesque riding style has me fearing for his safety. He likes to jump and is pretty good at it. As a result, he is bending parts on the JR. I was hoping to move him to the KTM mini mostly for the better suspension. He is definitely NOT ready for a KX 60.

zio- Yeah, it's definitely bigger (3-4 inches taller) than a JR 50.

Thanks, guys. :)

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Vic, I don't have an Adventure but my son does have a Junior Comp2 that may need to find a new home because we're looking at a SX/KX65. It has the Dominator clutch and R&D pipe so it's not exactly a mild powered bike but the clutch is fully adjustable so it makes the power delivery smoother than the shoe type. Email me if your interested and I'll see if I can pry it from his hands ;)

You might also give the For Sale Forum a shot with a "WTB" post.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Pat- That made me go, "Hmmmm", but I really think he needs some more experience before he can deal with that kind of power. He has some throttle control issues.:scream:

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
Vic,

My seven year old made a similiar transition, from a JR50 to a KTM50, albeit a Pro Jr. I think the best thing about the change was the taller bike. He was real bad about putting his feet out on the JR. I set the plastic on the KTM to the higher setting and it immediately solved that problem.

My son seemed to like the increase in power also. Imagine that.

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe not

Originally posted by Vic
Pat- That made me go, "Hmmmm", but I really think he needs some more experience before he can deal with that kind of power. He has some throttle control issues.:scream:

My son went from a PW50 to a KX60 ...bang just like that. He could not touch the ground on it but he took right to the power.

shifting was easy as pie.

I think we tend to under estimate our youngens....maybe its our fear of them getting hurt.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Re: Maybe not

Originally posted by Yamamoto

I think we tend to under estimate our youngens....maybe its our fear of them getting hurt.

I do have that fear with this particular one, not so much with my other two. He doesn't seem to grasp that the throttle has more than just two positions.:eek:

Anyway, I went ahead and bought the Mini. I will massage it as needed.

Thanks, all. :)

ROADRACER

Oct 7, 2000
Vic my son just turned 8 so he is a little bit older than yours. He has ridden a PW50 for about two years and has maxed it out ability wise. I went to the local MX track and looked at all the bikes these youngsters are riding WOW! Anyway my son trail rides and I really don't want him racing yet. So I decided that the racing 50's (Polini, Cobras.KTM's) were out because they aren't much bigger than his pw50 although they are much more motorcycle. In another year he would be too big for the bike and they are kind of pricey.Next I looked at the KX60 and KX65. When I watched the kids ride I noticed that the suspension on the 65 worked much better and didn't bounce the kids around like the 60. To make a long story short I bought a used KX65. My son has been riding it for a couple of weeks now and has the clutch figured out.:cool: The bike has alot of power but he doesn't seem to have any problems riding it slow either. I think this bike will last several years size wise and its new technology. I did lower the forks in the triple clamps so that he could get a leg down and that seems to work good. Good luck I'm sure your son will be happy with what ever you get him the trick is to find something that he won't out grow in a year and that won't break the bank.;)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by ROADRACER
the trick is to find something that he won't out grow in a year and that won't break the bank.;)

Fortunately(?), he has an older and a younger brother, so in about a year he'll have a bike to move up to and one to pass down. :)

Tom&SandyB

Nov 30, 2000
Have you considered a TTR-90. My 7 yo daughter is the same size as your son and does great on it. Has learned to shift without trying to coordinate a clutch and power is reasonable. She moved up fro an XR50 after one season. The bike was my sons first bike (he is now 9) and he moved up to a KX65 which was a bit of a transition but he is now handling it fine.
Tom

DaddGoneMadd

Apr 23, 2000
Vic, I've played with the Morini motors some on my son's 50's. One of the most usefull changes I've found is to make spacers for the exhaust pipe flange out of .125" aluminum. Install two and the pipe length is extended just enough to bring the power on sooner and softer. Also is easy to change if you don't like it. If you're ambitious you can slot the three mounting screw holes on the ignition plate and play with the timing. I'm just guessing here, but I bet the stock gearing on the Mini Adventure is way too tall also.

racerx125

Jun 1, 2001
ktm

yea you should go with the adventure....i have a friend whos son has a new sx50 sr lc, and he went from a jr, but that bike cant keep the front wheel on the ground with a 200 pound man on it, the bike is like a 250 in a little motor, but if you do go with the sr lc check all the bolts before he rides it, they tend to fal lout if you dont

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Tom&SandyB
Have you considered a TTR-90. My 7 yo daughter is the same size as your son and does great on it. Has learned to shift without trying to coordinate a clutch and power is reasonable. She moved up fro an XR50 after one season. The bike was my sons first bike (he is now 9) and he moved up to a KX65 which was a bit of a transition but he is now handling it fine.
Tom

My ten year old has a TT-R 90. The seven year old can ride it fine, but he doesn't like the weight. He can't pick it up. Not good. My plan was to let the ten year old ride the TT-R for another year and then pass it down, but it's not working out that way. The seven year old is bending the JR and the ten year old is making KX 65 noises. New plan is to pass the JR to my five year old now, then move him to the KTM in a year. The seven year old gets the KTM now, moves to the TT-R in a year. Not sure if I can keep the ten year old on the TT-R for another year.:( Did you get all that?:scream:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

Top Bottom