KTM 520 EXC w unthrottled silencer

The Lemming

Jun 10, 2001
I just came home from another thrilling adventure in the Swedish woods on my brand new 520 EXC. :cool:

Not that I lack power but I am not quite satisfied with the sound of the bike. :think

Is there any one out there who has any experience of taking away the "grid" in the end cap of the silencer?
Does the bike become to loud or does it have any strange effect on performance? Do I need to adjust the jetting?

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
The grid at the end of the muffler can just be ground away using a small dremel tool. Your carburetor has a 24.5mm throttle stop on it that can also be removed. Your carb has a different jet needle from what is used in the USA. Your carb has the OBDVR needle in the 3rd position. In the USA we use the OBDTM in the 4th position and I would use this needle if you remove the throttle stop.

KTMAUS

Feb 18, 2001
dstktmusa

Could you please tell me where abouts the throttle stop is located and if so any pics would be much appreciated

i have looked in the spare parts manual but does not show where abouts it is located.

Thanks KTMAUS

KTM520EXC :)

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I think that it is located in the linkage on the right side of your carb. It is a small metal bracket that limits the slide from fully opening.

The Lemming

Jun 10, 2001
Thanks but what about my original question. Do anyone have any experience in taking the screen away and did it make the bike to loud?

Last edited:
Top Bottom