KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
There's a lot you can do with your new bike. The best suggestion is to go back into previous posts and read what has already been done and why. What worked and what didn't. You can save yourself some time by being smart and do the research first. Keep the rubber side down..... Ride smart.

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
So far I've done the following:
Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards
Holeshot Skid Plate
Brake Snake
Scotts Shark fin rear brake protector
Scotts Steering Dampener (Essential)
MXC big tank (necessary for more than 60 miles)
Tires appropriate for your terrain (Stock tires are dangerous)
KTM Tall Seat
KTM Euro lighting harness and various parts to make street legal.
Change out all the non screw type hose clamps on the cooling system.
The bike doesn't need anything else.

Last edited:

Bill_RC1

Mar 29, 2001
2001 520 SX Changes

1. Applied racing triple clamps 18 degree angle -- better turning and no head
shake.
2. Pro-Circuit T4 Muffler with 2" outlet -- great increase in power.
3. OCEMN Needle with 170 main jet -- good gain in power.
4. ERider hydraulic Clutch cover -- looks good and safe protection.
5. .48 Front Springs/PDS4 Rear Spring with Pro-Action Valving -- Greatly
improved bottoming and handling -- I'm 5'10", 210 lbs, expert MX class.
6. Erider Carbon Fiber Skid plate -- makes it easy to change oil and does a
great job when missing those big jumps -- I know!
7. Cut out a ~6" x 4" opeining in air box cover and pop-riveted a wire mesh
screen in -- looks cool and really helped with the motor power.
8. Dunlop 739 tires -- they hook up better than the stock tires.
9. Extended the rear tire way back -- increased chain length.
10. Set sagat 3.25 inches -- feels good. Better than 4"

Have fun and enjoy -- this is the best bike I've owned in 20 years.

MARK # 51

Apr 18, 2000
2001 520sx front to back, here are the changes and what i noticed. 1. 20" front wheel with buchannan spokes and 739 dunlop----more stable in slippery turns and more confidence all around. 2. factory 48mm forks with titanium-nitrite coating and external preload adjusters valved and resprung with 44 springs-----no bottoming and very firm fluid motion through out. 3. factory r&d black anodized 16mm offset clamps------had to do it to fit new forks. sold my emig 18mm. didnt notice any steering changes. factory r&d comes with really cheap bolts. had to replace them. 4. azonic yamaha bend bars-------i dont really like crossbarless bars. 5. oberg sports throttle barrell with bearing-----smoother and less fragile. 6. enduro eng. clutch lever with bearing and steel line-----more durable line, but no noticable change in lever pull. 7. big gun exhaust------more noise, less weight and doesnt look stupid like stock silencer. no real noticable change in power. 8. works connection skid plate------echoed to much gear noise so i took it back off and dont use any now. 9. gripper seat cover------stock one molded underneight and didnt grip well. 10. 15/54 gearing with longer chain-----geared it down for mx and make the bike longer to handle better. i think this worked. 11. talon rear hub with buchanan spokes-----had slightly messed up oem hub with loose sprocket bolts. 12. factory shock with high and low speed compression damping and pds 4 spring------------just feels way better everywhere on the track. maybe some of it is just in my head, but hey whatever works. 13. ebc mxs brake pads------the best period. big difference. must say mxs. 14. black rear fender------looks better to me. 15. orange acerbis flag hand guards-------helps with roost. mounts fairly easy and doesnt get in your way at all. 16. thats all i can think of with out the bike in front of me to look at.

Bill_RC1

Mar 29, 2001
2001 520 SX (cont)

11. The crankcase vent tube is routed into the carb. Removed the tube from
Carb and put a cap over the carb opening. Installed a K&N filter on the
vent tube and routed between the radiators and wire strapped in place.
----- don't know if it helped but sucking those hot oil fumes into the carb
can not be good.

12. EE Clutch lever with bearing --- reduced pull efforts and after two months
no oil leaks.

Mark #51 -- whats the cost on the factory 48 mm forks? how available are
they?

MARK # 51

Apr 18, 2000
i dont know how availible they are, or the cost from the factory. i got my suspension from a guy who races the 4-stroke nationals and was receiving some support from ktm. he left the 520sx to ride a yzf, so he sold me the factory stuff. it only had one race on the forks and none on the shock. i seriously doubt you could accually get them from ktm. he had to wait about 4 months to get it, and john dowd just recently got his. when i was selling my stock suspension i wanted to get a price on a new stock set so i could figure out what a good deal on mine would be. i was told the 2001 was not yet available. then i checked for 2000 and got the same answer. i finally decided just to get a price on 1999 parts and guess what.......still too new, no part numbers or prices available. you could only buy the forks piece by piece.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Top Bottom