bcail

Sep 15, 2003
I'm 6'2" and 205, will be riding trails mostly.'

I'm looking at a couple of used KTM 520's, what is the difference in the MX, SX and EXC.

TIA

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
wow...if its your first time geting a bike dont get a 520 thats more for experienced layed back riders or for people that way more like 300+ and sx is a motocroos bike i would recomend a 250 rfs but ktm sure isnt the best way to go cause they bikes arent as nice instead of using products that are in mass production like kawasaki yamaha ect....they make there own parts and they dont have as big of a budget so they arent as nice and they are over priced do to that reasen to espeacialy sicne you live in america the prices to repair that will be like %20 more so why dont you try geting a kx250 or a yz250

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
Actually the 520 is a well built bike and parts are not any more expensive than the jap bikes. If you are an inexperienced rider though I would probably look at a 400exc for an all around good trail machine. The 520 can get you in real trouble fast with one turn of the throttle(also known as the wheelie control). If you are looking at a bike prior to an '02 there are some updates that are REQUIRED concerning cam bearings and the decompressor gear that are easy to do and don't cost much. I ride an xr4 and a 400exc but I love the electric start and light weight of the KTM. It has been a very reliable bike so far with over 6k miles on it. If you don't mind a heavier bike and kick starting the good old xr's are virtually bulletproof bikes. Not a racing machine by any means but will always get you there and back.

jack909

Oct 7, 2003
hmm ud luz out here in vegas prices for ktm are higher than all the other bikes maybe its cause they are so rare out but i dont know because out of my whole time living/riding out here ive seen thousands of riders but the ones on ktms are rare and i dont recall ever seing enyone with a motocross one so i guess they arent selling well and thats the reasen.but my budy needed help finding some parts for his ktm and we went to a few diferent stores and i was looking at some of the parts on the wall and they were some of the highest prices ive ever seen.

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
Jak909, you sure had a lot of negetive stuff to say about KTMs for a guy that hasn't seen many! "their parts aren't as nice": would that be those beautiful Magura bars, the super wide footpegs, the super smooth hydraulic clutch? KTM's are more expensive mostly because they come stock with nicer parts than other brands. Have a look and you'll agree. The only other cause is individual dealer choices: if you can sell for more, sometimes you do.

"Since you live in America, buy a Yamaha or Kawasaki"? Isn't Japan just as far away as Austria? In my experience, and from a couple of magazine comparisons, KTM parts and Honda parts are equally expensive overall. I've seen shocking prices on some parts (brake lever, ouch), but others are less expensive. KTM is growing in popularity rapidly, and with good reason: I love my 400 EXC.

In answer the the original question: SX is a pure motocross bike, 4 speed transmission, stiff suspension, light flywheel, no lights or accessories. EXC is a full enduro model: headlight, tailight, electric start, six speed wide ratio transmission, softer suspension, heavier flywheel. MXC is in-between, although closer to the EXC: it has no lights and its 6-speed is a close ratio, but is otherwise like an EXC. Desert racers might opt for the MXC.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Go for it!! I would take Jacks info with a grain of salt.

tlm

Feb 20, 2001
I would worry about the 520 at the end of the day when you are tired. It certainly will not be tired when you grab a hand full of throttle. I have the 450 and it is all I need. The 400 would be a great choice also.

I agree that if you are not on the MX track I would see no need for the stiffer suspension pf the SX. The EXC/MXC will be plusher in the suspension department. The all have hard seats and do require maintenance but I had to do that with my KLX which is a great beginner trail bike too.

And the best feature, besides being orange, the button!

Tim

bcail

Sep 15, 2003
Thanks for the replies guys.

Never said I was a newbie, just haven't been on the bikes for a while. That is the reason I'm looking at the larger bikes. I think I would get bored with something like a xr200 (or similar) pretty quickly. I would prefer the 400 or 450 but I had a good lead on the 520, that seems to be falling through, too many $'s for the bike in question.

Also looking at a yz426f, these seem to be somewhat plentiful and reasonable.

Top Bottom