Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
First day on the 520EXC was a blast!!:) :) Went to Crested Butte and did approx. 90 miles of single track. The bike was better than I expected, much better. Coming off a 426 Yamaha, I wasnt expecting the KTM to be as good as it was!!! I was told that the power would be much more linear, which it was, and other than a few little quirks in the suspension, it was right in the ballpark. Overall, its easy to see why everyone is raving about the bike. Two friends that are Honda and Kawasaki riders rode the bike and couldnt believe the way it worked! Oh yea, the little black button, just ICING ON THE CAKE!!! It doesnt get much better than this.:cool: :D

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
How did you find the difference in weight between the 426 and EXC, was the EXC less "flickable"? Was the power just more linear or MORE full stop? What are the suspension "quirks" you mentioned? Did it turn noticably slower?
Anything else worth noting about the differences. I'm up for another bike in a few weeks and thought I was 100% decided on the 520 EXC but am now thinking 426 again.
Thanks,

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Depends on your definition of flickable??? The KTM feels lighter than the 426, turns as good and the power, for what I was using it for, was much more controllable. The suspension quirks were just not having it dialed in right for me, the same is true of the Yamaha. Overall, the bike for ME, was much better suited for the riding I was doing, and would highly recomend it to anyone. As far as comparing it to a 426, what are you using it for? Just MX, the 426 and 520SX are neck & neck. Trail, desert, enduros, the 520 EXC is much better suited than the YZ426, I cant elaborate on the WR 426, I havent ridden one of those. But even if all things were equal, there is still one thing the KTM has the Yamaha doesnt have, the little black button, and that in itself, in my opinion, is worth alot. The bottom line, I switched to the 520 from the 426 and am very, very pleased with that decision!! :) ;)

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Never,
That's good feedback. I've ridden both (abeit breifly) and the EXC seemed a bit taller which I think gave the impression of larger size and slightly more weight. It also felt like it "loped" around a little more (technical term!) or was a little lazy.
I would be doing 75% woods riding in a combination of tight-ish to wide open trails stuff. 20% open grass track type MX and I'm reserving the 5% for Super Motard plans. :cool:
When I said "flickable" I guess I meant "turns shaper" I've heard a lot of commentry on the 18mm offset triple clamps helping, but thought that seemed like more of a neccessity in the SX application.
I'm about 190 - 200 lbs with gear on and would be perhaps classed as intermediate to advanced in riding skill. Does the suspension feel too soft in comparison to the 426? I've heard that comment a bit.
Thanks again, sounds like you've got a great ride!

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Claimed seat height on the KTM is said to be 2-3 inches lower than the Yamaha??? Where they get that info is beyond me. It also feels taller to me. As far as weight, I,m 200, 6'2", and ride a bike set up very soft. The suspension is right for me now, although I dont know what it will be like when things "SOFTEN" up,aka break in. I wont go to the offset triple clamps because I feel the bike turns just fine now. My 02. Comparing the suspensions, I would have to say they were similar in there weight settings. The KTMs power is much smoother than the Yamaha's, and does make the bike feel slower. This is what I meant by linear. The Yamaha is definitely more 2stroke like than the KTM. If you like the abrupt power, the Yamaha is the bike for you. Cut & thrust is what the Yamaha does best. I also found that the KTM was easier to ride longer than the Yamaha. I'm definitely not putting the Yamaha down, I still own a YZ250, which I love, I just was amazed at the KTMs agility and handling qualities. I'd suggest trying to find a 520 to spend a little time on and then make your decision, but if you cant, I dont think you could get hurt with the KTM. (Resale is really good.)

Top Bottom