Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I have located a brand new 03 KTM 525SX and I'm wondering what would I need to do to it to make it race ready? The bike has never been riden by anyone and is not owned by a dealer. I think I may be able to buy it for around $4500. It was bought for new product developement by an aftermarket parts company and they have had it covered up in a climate controlled storage area ever since they were done with it.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Its a good bike but the 03 was the year they greatly lightened up the reciprocating assembly and went to a 41 mm carb.
They had incresed mid and upper over the previous years do to this change.
The down side to that was they had less bottom end stalled easier and were hard to start when hot.
Switching back to the 39 mm carb of the previous years and connecting the throttle position sensor greatly reduces the problem and increases low to mid and the stalling and hard starting just about goes away.
Adding the heavier flywheel just about brings it back into the performance of 01 and 02 bikes.
A cheap way to increase shock smoothness is to pitch the pds 7 spring for a pds 6 which contrary to the charts is fine up to a 200 lb rider.
Drop the stock rediculus fork oil level it come stock with to the 130 to 150 range and you can even go with a ultra light oil. These forks work much better but really need revalving and the third bush removal. The biggest improvement to handling is to get a 16 or 14 mm offset triple tree.
forget 18 mm its a waste of money and provides almost no change The bike will turn great feel flickable and still be stable at speed with a 16 or 14.

Top Bottom