Sambolio

Jul 7, 2006
My buddy has a 1998 KTM 620 he brings along on most ridding trips. Its a nice powerful bike but seems a little stiff compared to a stock cr or yzf. I've worked on the bike many times, maintenece and what not. But every time I go to start the 620 I'm reaching to the left side. Now I'm not saying thats bad, its more like throwing a baseball with your left hand if you're right handed. But I am wondering why? The original owner said it is because it was made to be sold in Europe. But he is a truck driver and the facts are the facts. Hopefully you KTM guys will help me out.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Hah ... Left side is the right side ... all European bikes that I remember from the "day" were left side kick. Jap bikes basically forced the change based upon familiarity.

I personally like the left side kick start a lot better. It is much easier for me to get the grunt I need into a starter lever, if I have firm footing. As I am vertically challenged when on modern bikes, I always have firm footing when standing beside the bike and rarely have firm footing while astride the bike.

The LC4 motor is the only KTM motor that has left side kick as far as I know. I haven't looked at the 950 and my RFS and 2 stroke KTM are right side kick.

Jul 18, 2006
Sambolio said:
My buddy has a 1998 KTM 620 he brings along on most ridding trips. Its a nice powerful bike but seems a little stiff compared to a stock cr or yzf. I've worked on the bike many times, maintenece and what not. But every time I go to start the 620 I'm reaching to the left side. Now I'm not saying thats bad, its more like throwing a baseball with your left hand if you're right handed. But I am wondering why? The original owner said it is because it was made to be sold in Europe. But he is a truck driver and the facts are the facts. Hopefully you KTM guys will help me out.
:p may be they gave the left footers a go or the guy that made the bike thought of hes self um :bang: good ? ownd a kx 80 onces chane was on the left the next year it was on the right yer um cant thinkz y they would wana change the chain from left too right

Avena Quaker

Dec 9, 2004
Tony Eeds said:
The LC4 motor is the only KTM motor that has left side kick as far as I know. I haven't looked at the 950 and my RFS and 2 stroke KTM are right side kick.

The big 2 strokes were also left sde KS.

Rotax big 2-strokes are also left side, the ATK's intimidators and the Maicos.

Top Bottom