MikeKX250

Mar 21, 2001
My friend is looking to buy a used 65SX for his 9 year old son. Are there any major differences between the 99-01 models? His son is 4'3" tall and weighs 63lbs. He rides an XR 70 now, but he loves to jump and he is killing his XR 70. Do you think the 65SX will be to big for him size wise?

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
The '01 has a rear disc brake, better front brake system, change in port timing that is much better than the '99, and came stock with the WP Shock.

Early '99's had the Paoli shock and rear drum brake.

We went from the '99 to the '01 this spring. We had a chance to pickup a relatively new '00. But after my son road both the '00 and the '01, he chose the '01.

We currently have two '01's for sale. Selling them in complete stock trim with new graphics still in bag/box. Have extra plastic, DEP pipe, bleedable fork caps, and triple clamps that can go separately.

If interested, simply email me and I can send you out a photo.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
The '01 has a rear disc brake, better front brake system, change in port timing that is much better than the '99, and came stock with the WP Shock.

Early '99's had the Paoli shock and rear drum brake.

We went from the '99 to the '01 this spring. We had a chance to pickup a relatively new '00. But after my son road both the '00 and the '01, he chose the '01.

His size is about average for the class.

We currently have two '01's for sale. Selling them in complete stock trim with new graphics still in bag/box. Have extra plastic, DEP pipe, bleedable fork caps, and triple clamps that can go separately.

If interested, simply email me and I can send you out a photo.

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
KTMdad - do you know anything about aftermarket forks for a 01 65sx? Are they worth the money? Current set up is stock springs w/15wt oil at 105mm. Thanks.....Tom

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
My son just went from a XR70 to a Kawasaki KX65 recently. As far as size is concerned my son is almost the same size. The size of the bike fits him perfectly. He has improved more in the month that we have been on the 65 than he did in the year and a half on the 70. The suspension and power really allow him to ride correctly. I attribute most of it to the suspension. He is able to cross logs, jump without bottoming. Once he realized the new power he started asking to learn how to pull wheelies. we have been working on that and it has really taught him how to apply the power and realize that it is controllable. I would locate a good condition 65 and get it.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
motojunkie,

only place to get aftermarket forks are from Champion Cycle and Novation. They run around $1,500.

We've been using heavier fork springs (3.2kg), 15wt oil @ 100mm to 95mm oil height, 10mm + preload and had the holes redrilled on the dampening rods. Has worked great all season. We carry the heavy duty springs. Also a lot less expensive than emulators conversion or completely new forks.

Can't wait for the '02s with the USD forks. Complete cartridge fork and 32mm fork tubes.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
The '01 65 also has rollers on the shift forks and springs on the shift shafts, just like the big bikes. The shift drum is also different to help prevent jumping into gear while trying to kickstart.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
MikeKX250,

If your looking at a 2000 for around $2,000. I have two '01's for $2,200.00
If your interested, email me back.

I would not get the '99 due to the transmission problems with the 3rd/4th combined gear. They have a tendency to strip off the teeth. Then you have or should also replace the individual 3rd and 4th gear as well.

A friend of ours picked up a '99 that was in good shape. Shifted fine, till last week when the gear stripped. We also had this same problem with both of our '99's.

The '00 have an updated gear. The '01's also have a new shift drum.

Again, I'd stick with a '00 or newer. Just my opinion

Top Bottom