KTM Battery weak after 2 months of use-Why?

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I bought a KTM electric start bike recently. I keep the battery float charger on it and now after 2 months the bike trys to turn over but doesn't.
I check the battery charge level after battery has been attached to battery float charger and it shows 65% charges.
So then I use my fancy charge to get it to 100% and it still will not turn the engine over, though it tries to.

Whats up with the battery? it seems to be too weak?
What has been other KTM owners experience?
How do you keep the battery charged properly since the float charge has not prevented the issue?

Note, when I bought the bike, it worked well the 1st month and seems to get weaker after that to the point now it will not turn the engine over. I do know KTM sells two other bigger batteries but I am concern after spending more money the battery might weaken again. Maybe I was not taking proper care of the battery?

Help?"
Spokes574
California

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I spoke to KTM Cycle Hutt and they informed me that the batteries in the KTM bikes are weak and that they are recommending the fix is to go to next size bigger batter or 2 size up bigger battery(this on requires a $6 plastic cage holder due to larger size).

Guys at the track that has the issue indicated going up in battery size solved their problem also. I will have to buy a battery next week and see. Another $100 down the drain.

Spokes572
Pleasanton, CA

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Yup, replace the 4 or 5 series battery with a YTZ7S.

Next step is a Trail Tech stator and flywheel.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i just disconect my battery when my bike is sitting and i dont have any problems anymore. there must be a small amount of a drawl on these bikes.

Top Bottom