KTM Brake & Hydraulic lines/Servicing/Pads

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Any information/ sites I can go to that have detailed info or step-by-step proceedures on servicing/ changing oil in brake lines and hydraulic clutch lines. I have an 01 KTM 200 MXC and believe I can service the lines myself, provided I have good instructions.
What about new brake pads. I was told that the stock pads are the best...any other suggestions.

Thanks,

KTMBell

01 KTM 200 MXC
02 Honda CR 80

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Pretty simple you can bleed through the master cylinder resevoir on the brakes with good dot 4 or 5.1 fluid and back bleed the clutch from the slave cylinder ( down near the countershaft sprocket) using a syringe and mineral oil. Spectro has a relativley reasonable clutch oil or you can use fork oil.

Brake fluid for brakes and oil for the Magura clutch.

I prefer the Moose pads since I feel they give better feel than the stockers and are easier on the rotors. Some guys like the ebc's. I change brakes more often than tires and I'm smooth on the throttle and soft on the brakes.

It really helps to keep your pads and rotors clean. You can pull them out as often as you like and clean the grunge off the leading edge and sand the junk off them.

Last edited:

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
I saw an example in Motocross Action mag. On the clutch they hooked a line from the nipple on the slave cylinder into a plastic Coke bottle with a small hole cut into lid (to keep line tight in bottle) then they bleed old oil into bottle while adding new mineral oil into the master cylinder resevoir. I worry (since this is new to me) about getting air in the line. I assume you just crack the bleeder with wrench until you work any air out, right???

KTMBell

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
That will work on the brakes. On the clutch I use the syringe and a piece of tube to fill the resevoir from the slave cylinder through the bleeder (reverse bleed). Tis works good on brakes if you have a pesky airbubble.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
fishhead

So, basically your holding a syring elevated higher/above the slave cylinder bleeder with the tube running from the bottom (of Syring) and attached to the bleeder. Push the syring and it pumps the mineral oil back up the line into the resevoir. I assume you completely bleed the line before filling (may be dumb question...but I'm new at this). Once it's filled, close the bleeder and remove tube?

Top Bottom