geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I know this is a common problem with KTM's. Mine had no abuse. Just twisted off when I kicked it up. Now half the threaded bolt is in the flange on the bike, and the other half, the upper bolt head, is in the kickstand itself.

How does the upper head half of the bolt come out of the kickstand? It spins but does not come out.

And the threaded bolt in the flange? Right hand thread? Any good ideas in getting this out? Thanks.

From searches, I learned that E-Rider has a guaranteed kickstand bolt for these KTM's. Is that the way to go?

B

biglou

The E-Rider bolt is the way to go. As for the bolt head in the kickstand, put the stand in a vise and tap the bolt out with a punch. My guess is that the shank is deformed slightly and not allowing it to fall out.

For the threaded part of the bolt shank still in the flange on the bike, see if you can grab it from the back side and just thread it on through the threaded flange until it comes out. It is a right-hand thread. Once it starts turning, it should free up a bit as the flange will help form the threads near the break back to their proper shape. If you can't grab it from behind the flange, carefully center-punch it and drill it out, just slightly undersize of the diameter of the threaded shank. Be careful you don't get into the threads in the flange. That would be bad! Better to go too small than too large. You can always drill more out. I think you should be able to grab it from the backside, however. Definitely give that a try first. Good luck.

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
geremacheks,

What year is your bike? If it is a 02' then the erider bolt won't work. KTM changed the design but it still breaks. Here is a thread that covers what I went through to fix this : Kickstand Woes

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I'm not sure where the k/s bolts go on a KTM, but if it's into the swingarm like a KDX, you may want to be sure the bolt is not going to spin-in when you start drilling. A LH drill would be the ticket here - you can get them at industrial supply shops (e.g. McMaster-Carr).
:cool:

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
I had the same problem with my '02. I used a bolt extractor on the part that was still in the flange, worked fine in my case.

BRAP Offroad had a few replacement bolts for the '02 bikes made. The design changed from '01 to '02 (got worse, it looks like), but my BRAP replacement bolt is holding strong after 10 rides.

The kickstand bolt on these bikes is not an example of KTM's engineering prowess.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks for all the advice. The bike is a 00 200 EXC. I can't believe how easy it went. Tapped out the upper bolt still in the kickstand (read: pounding with a hammer and a punch in a vise). Drilled a small hole through the threaded stud stuck in the flange. Then drilled it out a little bigger. Had an easy out handy, stuck it in and unwound it with a cresent wrench. Really simple; everything went well. (BigLou--the stud did not protrude out the end of the flange, so I couldn't get at it that way.)

Can you believe it. I saved the threads. Time to order the guaranteed bolt from E Rider, I guess. Thanks again for all the guidance. And up your nose KTM.

XT

Oct 8, 2000
I had the same problem with the bolt breaking on 300 mxc. I baught the bolt from e-rider and installed it and it held up great. Even when my bike fell over with the stand down one day. Bolt never missed a beat. Kickstand bracket however was bent beyond repair. $26.00 for the bracket or $14 +/- for a new bolt??? Maybe not that bad of a design for the bolt to shear considering if the bracket bends bad enough it may even screw up the chain roller. Tough call either way. Just be extremly careful when you set the bike on the stand when you are out in the boonies. If it falls over it will bend if you have the e-rider bolt or break with the stocker.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah, but.... what if the stock bolt breaks while the bike is parked in your garage, and the bike falls against the wife's new Lexus parked next to it?

We need a real solution here.

Top Bottom