Dec 11, 2005
Help please! I bought a 1989 KTM 250 EXC and am having a heck of a time getting it running. Its been in the shop for 3 months with what the dealer has said is a stator issue. He is claiming he cannot find the part for this bike. It is not a ground, as he added a new ground wire and said he did get spark the 1st time I picked it up.

Long story short- I bought the bike with a totally rebuilt bottom end. I have the paperwork from the dealer that did it. It ran prior to going in the shop, but no spark when the guy I bought it from picked it up. I bought it as a project bike and took it to the dealer as the wiring was undone and I had no manual to go by to figure out what went where. It has been a real project getting info on this bike- no manuals exist that I can find.

Can anyone advise if there are years or models I can cross for parts- read in one of these forums where someone was trying to use a CDI box from a Yamaha. Anyone know where or if I can get the stator rewrapped? Thanks for your help.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Although it is fairly simple to rewind a stator, that might not be your problem, based upon the information you mentioned. I would suggest that you check out H&H up the road in Georgia. I have talked with them over the years about my 1971 Penton and might well just send them the box of engine parts next summer as I am tired of trying to piece the bike back together.

Dec 11, 2005
Tony- appreciate the reply. I already spoke to H&H, for $400 I can get an entire electrical set-up, but thats all they would offer- great guys, but like the man said, they wont be doing the work. I dont think the bike is worth that even though its in great shape. I'd like to give it a try, but because I cant locate a manual, my confidence level is not high. For some reason, dealers dont like to discuss cross refrences or a cheap way out- wink, wink.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
You might put up a post asking if someone has a wiring schematic for the bike. I can't imagine that they have changed all that much over the years, so any wiring diagram should do.

I would methodically go though the harness and check for a ground in a place that should not have one. Almost too obvious, but you might check the kill switch and see if it is working correctly. The connection should be "normally open".

Hope that helps. Keep up apprised of your progress. :)

B

biglou

There are online kTm schematics but I can't remember where, or if they go back that far. I posted a link for someone a year or so ago, but it was for a newer model. If I can find the link, I'll see if they go back that far...

leann5842

Dec 11, 2005
Try H and H in Ga. I had same problem back in 92 when I got my 89 250, and we swapped the cdi for an older model, and some other electrical parts.

Top Bottom