KTM erratic at high rpm

steve banks

Jun 11, 2001
I have a 99 KTM125exc which has been running well for a while after sorting out some jetting problems but it's now running erratic at higher rpms. I stripped the carb and and checked it for dirt but it was clean. The air filter was also clean as I had only used the bike (briefly) twice since cleaning it. However, my airbox had a pool of oil lying in the bottom. I thought I may have over oiled the filter but I used silkolene air filter oil which is blue and extremely tacky, the oil in the airbox looked like transmission oil!

The bike starts first time and runs good at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle but is spluttery at 1/2 to full. It feels like the main jet is too rich but the jetting was fine a few weeks ago and the temperatures or riding conditions haven't changed. I haven't tried changing the main jet as I was concerned at the amount of oil collecting in the airbox and thought the problem could be mechanical rather than a jetting one.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Check your reeds they are known to wear quick.Use 2000 model ones as they last longer ot a v force works well on the KTM.

steveB

Dec 18, 2000
Checked the reeds last night and yes they're frayed at the corners.

marcusgunby - do you know where I can get vforce in the uk?

thanks...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
hardcore racing are the importers but i think wildmoor m/c has one-they should i sold it to them, if you need the number get back to me.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…