KTM EX/C or MX/C 200 for enduros, hare scrambles?

duke498

Mar 30, 2001
Which of these two bikes would be better for enduros and hare scrambles? I realize that the mx/c has lower top 3 gears, but will that really make a difference for an enduro type race? I've never raced, but have been riding for a while, and if I were to race, I'd probably enter as a C-class 0-200 CC.

BenjaminPQ

Spammer
Jan 4, 2001
There is a reason why Shane Watts chooses the EXC.
smile.gif

I just bought a 300MXC and I hardly ever top it out here in Ohio. However, I see your from CA and I assume you will be racing more open terrain then me so that extra top speed should be very important to you. If I remember correctly the 200 has a lower 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th are the same and 5th and 6th are higher.

------------------
BenjaminPQ
1979 RM125 (long gone)
1995 CR125 (sold)
1999 KTM 300MXC!!!

duke498

Mar 30, 2001
If the EX/C should be used for enduros and HS's, and the SX is for motor/super cross, what is the MX/C's specialty? Is it just for tighter (lower speed) terrain racing?

mikromo

Jul 6, 2000
I've always heard that the MX/C is more for Calif. style open desert terrain. Wide ratio trans is better for the woods and eastern style terrain. I ride an EX/C and ride hare scrambles in the midwest ( read tight & snotty) and my 200 feels so right that I feel like I'm cheating. I can't think of a better bike for a C level rider. Shane Watts really seems to like his 200exc. At Kahoka last year my son and I had a conversation with him and he said the 200exc was his favorite race bike and the 300exc was his favorite trail bike. Whichever you choose, My bet is that you'll love it! Have fun!

------------------
96 KTM 250sx
97 cr125 sons
99 KTM 200exc

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
angryjim posts here once in a while... he lives in Hollister & races a 200 EXC in the D36 enduros and harescrambles. Drop him an e-mail. He's a pretty nice guy, & does very well overall in the C class on that 200. I rode it once just for a few minutes, and decided to sell my CR250 for one of those little bikes. Very sweet.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Hey zio, I thought you needed the money? Couldn't live with out a bike huh? I was e-mailing you and consitered buying your CR, remember? I ended up getting a 2000 KTM 200EXC. Imagine that! Much nicer than the DRZ - WAAAY lighter. I'm still waiting (injury) to give it a full test in a week or so. But I've been cruzin through the neighborhood fields. You sell the CR yet?

------------------
William
KTM200EXC

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
MXC has slightly different gear ratios. More of a cross country bike. Excellent HareScramble bike. You can add lights to the MXC it has a lighting coil (low wattage though) EXC comes ready to race enduros. Speedo,large tank,lights(legal to get title in most states???). MXC can be converted for enduro use.

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I, like mikromo, race a 200 exc in the midwest, and i have no complaints about it. It pulls strongly from gear to gear, and tops out at a pretty stupid stupid speed. Most of our races are tight, and the gear ratios work great, but some of the races are more wide open. The exc ratios work well here too. i don't really knpw why someone would want an mxc, other than the fact that it has no lights.

mikromo, do you race the MHSC series. If so, maybe i'll see you there.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

duke498

Mar 30, 2001
Zio,

I see that you live in Fresno. I was actually talking to someone at Wilson's MC store. They seem to have decent prices on their bikes. Do they try to make up the cost on freight, dealer set up, etc, or are they pretty good to deal with?

Jamie

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by *william*:
Hey zio, I thought you needed the money? Couldn't live with out a bike huh? ... You sell the CR yet?

It takes me a while to check posts here.... yup- sold it a few weeks ago. Now I'm saving my pennies for a kTm 200.

I have my nephew's PW 80 in the garage that I won't let him take home "Sorry Nathan, zio needs to adjust the Flux Capacitor on your PW, and the 7th Fetzer valve is still sticking, so I'll just keep it at my house for a while". Oh, I feel sooooooo bad.....

------------------
bravo.gif

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
now all you leave me alone. don't make me show my face here anymore.... zio so ashamed....

------------------

Top Bottom