wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Ok i'm buying a new bike in June and i'm still thinking what bike to get. I really like 2 strokers and when i rode CR and YZ 125 they were very agile and light bikes. But i'm concerned about reliability of 2 strokers. I'm beginner, i ride dirt bike only 2 years and until now i only had an old xl 125.
Well i have a new KTM EXC 250 or a 200 in mind and EXC 450 4 stroke. My friend had a EXC 450 almost 4 years and he says it's a great bike to ride in woods.

I ride mostly in tight woods and not so fast terrain.
Should i get a 250 2 stroke or 450 4 stroke?

dbc

Dec 7, 2003
I ride a KTM300 2 stroke in the tight woods, bike was made for it.
Lot's of low end grunt and the light weight makes it an ideal single track bike.
I also ride a KTM 4 stroke. Love that bike for easy trail riding, but doesn't compare to the 300 in overall rideability- too heavy..

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
dbc said:
I ride a KTM300 2 stroke in the tight woods, bike was made for it.
Lot's of low end grunt and the light weight makes it an ideal single track bike.
I also ride a KTM 4 stroke. Love that bike for easy trail riding, but doesn't compare to the 300 in overall rideability- too heavy..

Hmm and how does the 250 performs in that kind of terrain?
Maybe i'll get a 300 electric start that seems very nice thing to have.

But isn't there a problem with 2 stroke spark plugs when you are not reving the bike enough(in tight terain) than spark plugs goes to hell...(sorry but my english is very bad so i don't know a word to describe it :bang: )
Well how many working hours can a 300 last if i ride it most in low-mid range? I bet this thing goes like hell when you hit a powerband :p
I'm kinda scared of it because i'm only a beginner, but i'm not buying a bike just for me because my dad will give me a half of money and he want to ride it too and he is a very good enduro rider so he will handle it for sure.

Are the 125 enduro bikes like EXC 125 or gas gas ec 125 any good in the woods? Because they are not alot cheaper than 300 or 250.
I can say that CRs and YZs 125 aren't good at all in some tight terrain because a low end power is zero and when you rev it you are too fast for terrain or you are on your back :p .

D14openA

Mar 12, 2007
wik91,
The 300 is wonderful bike for the tight woods. I had 05 and raced in the d-14 enduro series(michigan,indiana) and some of the Nationals. Bike has a great gunt down low, and has an awesome top end. Reliability wise not a lot of maintence. Just make sure you locktite all of your bolts, due to the vibraiton of the larger bore. It depends on what type of a rider you are. I just sold the KTM and got a new yz250, because i prefer the snap of yz to the ktm, your prefrence and what type of rider you are.
Nick Rasmussen

D14openA

Mar 12, 2007
wik91,
One other thing. I live in Michigan where the woods are tight. Never fouled a plug on the 300. Powerwise it is a smooth ride even if you have it tricked(had ee pipes, power now valve system, v force reeds, revavled ee suspension) There really isnt a powerband hit, due to the great low end, its like a tractor, pulls from way down low.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would help if you would fill out the form found here:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=108916

You mentioned that you were a beginner, and reference to your dad paying for half gives me a hint of your age. With that to make a guess with I would be concerned about you getting a 250 two or 450 four stroke.

As far as reliability the two strokes are just (if not more) reliable than the four strokes. When you buy the benefits of a high performance engine you get the down side of them as well, which is that they are not built to run forever. I beleive that a four stroke MX bike has about the same top end rebuild schedule as a MX two stroke bike would.

When it is time to do maintenance, the two stroke is actually easier.

Two strokes can be a bit more difficult to get the jetting right and even more critical that you do. With proper jetting you really shouldn't foul a plug. Have a spare plug available so that on the rare occasion you do foul one you can get going again quickly.

Rod

wik91

Feb 5, 2008
Well before 1hr i rode a EXC 250 03' and a 04' EXC 450 from my friend. Well i like both bikes very much but somehow i like 250 more on flat and fast terrain, as i'm beginner i didn't have balls to rev it to the powerband but the bike has about 20 times more power on 4000rpm than my ex XL 125 hahah.
EXC 450 is quite hard to kickstart but i had more confidence on gas. It is awesome bike to ride slowly betwen trees and also on flat terrain it goes like hell. Well i guess if i would ride a 250 for some time i would get used to it and i like the sound of a 2 stroke. 4 stroke has really nice sound and for me it's easyer to ride, but i think that i would get a 250 or 300 if i find one because it's a very light bike. Well when i compare a 07' EXC 125 and a 03' 250 i just have to say that 250 is a much much stronger bike.

I don't know, i guess i will buy bike that will be cheaper and closer to me no matter of strokes :D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom