CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
My 06 400 EXC is giving me fits. It seems that I may need a rebuild but I am unsure whether or not that this will solve my problem.

Here is the challenge. When I bought the bike recently it didn't idle well but I wasn't going to go on a big ride at that time so I put it off. In the meantime my 13 year old would ride it after school around the property. He said it was starting to overheat and puke and would not run well (I imagine because of the overheating). One day he thought it needed oil. It didn't and he only added and didn't drain. He rode it and had smoke started coming out everywhere.

When I got to it I experienced the same along with noticing the screw dangling underneath the carb, with a touch of an oily residue on it(?). I drained the oil, put in new, changed the plug and ran the screw back up into it (and then out 1 1/4). It ran ok, but was still smoking and I figured there was quite a bit of oil in areas that it wasn't suppose to be
in (path of least resistance). I ran up and down the road and it started to foul again. I changed the plug and the smoke seemed to lessen quite a bit. I went up and down the road again and all seemed ok. I then felt it was well enough to take it for a ride. I took it out to our club property today and it ran for a short bit and then died. It was smoking some on the trail out the silencer and at the head pipe. Before it died it also began to overheat. I was going to change the plug again but decided that it was time to go home with it.

This is "NOT" my area of expertise as you may already suspect. The compression seems to be strong and I do not own a leak down tester. When we were riding it was pulling strong.

So on the 2 hour drive home I came to the conclusion that it needs to be opened up. Maybe time to do an overbore kit rebuild (Eric Gorr)? I had already planned to change to a JD jetting kit (or eq.) for the carb and send the the suspension to Jeremy Wilkey @ MXTech and I have a rekluse sitting in a box waiting for an install.

Any ideas...I know there are plenty of opinions.

Thanks
Brett Pierce

Top Bottom