rathrockmo

Aug 23, 2003
I have a 1999 KTM 250EXC with a FMF Knarly pipe but stock spark arrester and it drips/blows thick black oil all over the end of the pipe, swingarm, rim etc. after no more than 30 minutes of riding. I believe I'm jetted correctly as I the plug looks great when checking the jetting. A friend says all KTM 250's do this but I find this hard to believe. I,ve changed the silencer packing with no change. I'm ready to do the top end but thought I'd see if anyone had dealt with this themselves.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
My 01 EXC 200 drools black crap too. I have asked around and it seems to be more a problem with oil type and mixture than jetting, which makes sense. My bike is still a little rich but not bad, but my swingarm/brake caliper is black with goo. Some things to consider:

• What mixture are you running? I run 50:1 in my 200, and though I would ask, I think a 250 would be ok at 50:1 also.
  • What type of oil do you run? I've been told that the high-end full synthetics are not really designed for use in 'normal people's' bikes, since they do not get hot enough to fully burn the oil. I'm not too sure on this one or not. Some oils, like Castrol, actually have temps on the bottle, like 600 or 800. Someone can call me on this one if I'm wrong, I'm just repeating what I'm told.
  • Where/how do you ride? Most of the problem I have with mine is the fact that I DON'T rev the piss out of it--I lug it and ride like a pansy (I'm getting better). Not saying you ride like a pansy, but if you don't scream it, the oil is going to build up.

Let us know what you figure out!

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
After extensive research and re-jetting, my 01 250 EXC still spooges. Not as bad as it used to however. The best explanation I've heard for this is:

The stock silencer/spark arrestor on our KTM's is so large that it promotes cooling of the hot exhaust gasses which then condense on the internals of the silencer , and cause our "spooge" condition.

Here are my settings for sea level riding. Could help...

178 main
45 pilot
SUDCO CEK needle / 3rd position (must have)
50:1 MOTUL 800

still spoogin' but seriously roostin' !!!

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
"The stock silencer/spark arrestor on our KTM's is so large that it promotes cooling of the hot exhaust gasses which then condense on the internals of the silencer , and cause our "spooge" condition."

I'm goint to agree with this statement. Why ? Because I have two silencers on standard EXC and one withthe SA cut off and shortened. I do not have spooge dripping with the hackes silencer like I do with the standard one.

Cheers
Reon

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Mine spooges and I have a FMF Turbine Core silencer with stock pipe, so I'm not too sure about blaming the spooge on the stock silencer. Every bike is different however.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I am running DEK needle 3rd position, 182 main 45 pilot. I have a Gnarly pipe with stock silencer. I run Cool Power 48-50:1. I ride at sea level also. I have no splooge, and the bike will rip as hard as you can stand :yeehaw:

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
I run the stock silencer with zero spooge so I know it's possible to clean yours up too. You are rich somewhere, probably on the needle.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
been there.

try dek-4 (dck-2) 42 or 45 pilot 175 or 178 main or ddk-2 or 3. I would run the leaner setting in hot weather. Experiment with the clip position and pilot to get the response you want. If you get a decleration knock when the jetting is cleaned up try a 50% mix of race fuel such as c-12and pump.

Nevertheless

Jul 1, 2003
I've got a 1999 KTM 200 EXC with FMF Gnarly Pipe and the FMF Turbine Core II silencer. I'm running Golden Spectro 50:1. I've had it for a couple of months and can hardly pry myself of it.

I was dripping black spooge too. Don't you love it when it runs down the underside of the pipe and dribbles onto the swingarm?
The guy I bought the bike from is a former "A" enduro rider, I asked him about it. The cure was easy: More revs. The next ride I concentrated on keeping it wound out a bit more and not shifting so soon. No more spooge. Duh.

LONNIE

Mar 10, 2003
I run Doma pipe with Doma silencer on 02 250exc. No spooge...keep it pinned....wfo......run leaner fuel whatever, my buddy jetted it for me and it is crisp
, braaaaaaaaaaaaaw should be the sound not brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaw.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Nevertheless is correct open that throttle all the way! A friend of mine decided he wanted to try MX and he wouldn't ride very hard at all....well to make it short, every once and awhile I would wring his bike out and when I'd come back to the pits his silencer would smoke for a long time from all the build up. Good luck!

Top Bottom