MARK # 51

Apr 18, 2000
i have been racing the 520sx, and i really love the light feel of the bike compared to my yzf. my question is...how do you tell how much fuel is in the tank? i hate to fill the thing up just to do a 10 min. moto. ive tried flashlight to see down in there, but that didnt work. i tried some of those floating balls by mx bonez, but i couldnt stand all the noise they make in the gas tank. it sounds like a big plastic drink cup full of ice being shaken. believe it or not, you can hear it while your in the air in a race. i evan went so far as to drain the fuel out and reload a half gallon after every moto, but thats a pain and i alway end up knocking some dirt off into my gas can. its a light bike (for an open class four stroke) and i want to keep it that way when i race. any ideas?

RoadRunner

Oct 17, 1999
I can't remember if those have black tanks or clear ones. If it doesn't have a clear tank....get one. Or get some foam that doesn't degrade in gas and make a floaty out of it. Heck, you could even use a dowel rod that you'd premarked for different capacities to check depth.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
I haven't gotten around to trying this myself, but I've seen people do it. Run a "t" fitting from the fuel petcock so that you can route the main fuel line down to the carb. With the other output, connect a clear fuel line and route it up between the left side radiator and the gas tank. you can then loop it over the frame at the front of the tank and terminate it with a one way breather. The point to this exercise is that the fuel will fill the clear hose up to a point that is level with the contents of the fuel tank. This way you can peak inbetween the radiator and gas tank and see approx. how far the gas tank is filled. It's not super accurate, but works reasonably well. If the description isn't clear enough, let me know and I'll elaborate a little more.

RoadRunner

Oct 17, 1999
That's exactly how yamaha snowmobile fuel and oil gauges worked....Good idea! It worked very well on the snowmobiles, so if you can adapt it to your bike you should be set. Then as you fill your tank with a set amount you can mark the fuel line in 1/2 gallon increments.

Top Bottom