KTM "hockey stick" silencer on a 01 CR250?

2bitsamile

Nov 13, 2005
I just bought a 01 CR250 after not riding dirt since '78. Thanks to all the posters that helped bike choice. It's way faster then i'll ever be able to master, but that's the fun of it. Good thing i didn't get the 380sx like i wuz thinking: probably too much fun. BTW, I still have my '75 Husky 250 that i raced back in '78, someday i'll get it running.

Question: Has anybody tried an '03-'06 KTM EXC "hockey stick" silencer w. spark arrestor on the CR? I'd like to ride on my 7ac w/o bothering neighbors. I got the KTM silencer cheap. The EXC and CR exhuast tubes are both 28mm od. It can be made to fit mechanically and stinger + core will be approx same length. But, i will need to cut the tube off the CR silencer. So, if hockey stick makes the bike run really bad, i'm bikeless until i get another silencer. What's the chance of that or damaging engine?

Any suggestions or what to watch out for? I don't really want to mess w. jetting since Mikuni+stock jetting will be replaced with a PWK soon. Seems to run OK as-is this winter here in Oregon near sea level, plug looks a little rich. I've read a pipe's tuned length does not include the silencer. But, the extra backpressure from longer silencer may raise gas temp inside pipe, increasing speed of pressure wave and thus make pipe length effectively shorter, maybe decreasing low end power. True? Would adding 5mm-10mm spacer on head pipe help compensate? I don't mind some power loss. I might take the turbine spark arrestor section out of the hockey stick and replace w. another core + packing, would then be much quieter than a FMF Q.

thanks, alex

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
If the mechanical aspect of attaching tot he stinger is covered I'd say go for it. The KTM S/A is a great item in that it is a Krizman type arrestor w/ very little restriction (just like the FMF Turbine Core only heavier and quieter). The quiet decibel output of the stock KTM unit kept me using my stocker even though I had a FMF unit. I think it is an awesome idea and you shouldn't notice much difference in how the bike runs. My 01 CR250 didn't require any changes from the stock silencer to the FMF Turbine Core I ran nor did my 05 KTM250E.

Good for you thinking of your neighbors! :cool:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Have a buddy who collects/races vintage Hodaka's (TONS of Hodaka's). He's also an excellent mechanic. He adapted a FMF Turbine Core from a YZ125 onto one of his woods 125's. A slight change in jetting was all required. Very quiet, and runs like, well...... a Hodaka.

Top Bottom