KTM/Husky/Gas Gas 250 when last bike was YZ250

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Hi guys.

My last bike was a 2001 YZ250 that I used to ride illegally in the bush around where I live. I loved the bike, but sufferred a knee injury playing footy and it ended up sitting unused for 2 years before I gave in and sold it.

I am now looking to get back into the game and have my heart set on a registerable enduro bike as I will get more use out of it and wont have to worry about the cops when out in the bush.

This means im looking at a Euro Enduro bike and in my part of the world they are probably 80% KTMs, 15% huskys and 5% Gas Gas.

Im not fussed on brand but am concerned about size...I loved the big hitty power that my YZ used to have, and have read numerous reports that say the 300cc bikes wont disappoint. However, the 250cc bikes are much much cheaper and im starting to get tempted.

My question is, coming off a YZ250, what will it be like to ride a KTM EXC250, a Husky WR250 or a Gas Gas EC250?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
something lot smoother and easier. the only thing i prefer on mx bikes are the fast steering compared to enduro bikes.
i have rode a friends ´99 yz 250 yamaha lots of times and they are fast but quite incontrolable side by side against my ktm exc 360. on open areas with big turns i prefer the yz but on any other situation like woods driving, slow speed stuff or very technically the exc are MUCH faster.
the yz may be lot more fun to ride if i ride alone though.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Cheers. I am worried i'll buy a 250 and find out its not enough bike for me. Where I live there arent many enduro bikes for sale, so test riding before buying is difficult...unless I want to risk a 6 hour return trip to test ride a dud bike. I might end up having to do this though...as i'll be spewing if I fork out the $$ and arent happy.

Might be easier to just stick to the 300s.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Cheers for the replies.

Yesterday my mate bought a 2008 KTM EXC300E so i'll be riding it this weekend...id imagine once I have done that the 300 will be the bike im after.

I have heard from a couple of people that they can be hard to jet correctly....is this true?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I've ridden the GasGas EC250 and it was SWEET for the truly tight, gnarly stuff. May not have the 'hit' you want, because the motor felt focused on traction (substantial flywheel effect.) I'm a Suzuki rider, so I like the quick/easy turning aspect, but the Gasser didn't feel much less 'slow-turning' by any means... I thought it handled like a KX.
KTM's everywhere in the woods around here, rode a 200, it was nice I guess (why do they have to be orange?), but KTM has pulled their bikes away from so many dealers...?

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
Personally I like the lighter weight of the MX bikes vs Enduro bikes. Is it hard to get a title for a bike in your place of the world?

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Yeah in Oz for full registration you can only register bikes that have compliance plates on them. These are done on model by model basis, and prior to the model being sold. They cant be added afterwards.

I ended up getting a 2004 Gas Gas EXC 300. I have taken it around the block a couple of times and it seems to be plenty powerful. Im hitting the dirt for the first time in 3 years this weekend....looking forwards to it. Hopefully I stay on!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
good luck and have a good time!!!

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Yeah, EC300.

Went out on the weekend and had a ball. I had the opportunity before hand to get on my cousins YZ250WR...for those who havent heard of them before these are a strange beast. They are basically the left over YZ250 two stroke from the year before, with lights, indicators and a wide range gearbox. They can be regoed and are quite rare as I heard they only made 20 a year.

Anyway, I rode my bike and this bike back to back and I felt that my bike was down on power. The YZ250WR definately felt like it had more power than my bike, certainly more snap.

However on the trails, I didnt notice any lack of power in my bike at all. I loved the spread of power that the 300cc two stroke motor has. We climbed some pretty hefty hills and the 300 was so forgiving. I did one hill twice, the first time in second powerband, the next time in third gear, just below powerband. It had so much torque that it would burst back into band everytime I hit the throttle.

Yet riding it next to a KTM300 I noticed the KTM would get away from me in drag race (on the flat open stuff). I think my bike could do with a piston and ring change and probably some jetting work.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Ive spent a bit of time on Gas Gas and KTM 300's and still favor my 03 yz. I do favor the gas gas over the ktm though. Either way, looks like you made a solid choice. Enjoy.
For what it is worth, I would love to have the wr tranny in my yz. I miss the earlier wr models (rode a 95 for a bit).

95Jersey

Aug 30, 2012
To the original posted. I am almost exactly in your situation. I have a 2002 YZ250 and are looking at a street legal enduro for the same legal reasons. Not sure what state you are in, but the only street legal KTM is the 350 EXC-F or the 500EXC.

Another option is the Husqvarna TE models which come in 310, 449 or 511.

I have seen both and they are nice, the KTM is VERY expensive with the 350 at almost $10k. The Hussqvarna is cheaper at $8000.

The problem with many of these bikes are weight. Your and my YZ250's are super light by today's heavy 4 stroke standards. The lightest 450 MX bikes are still 20lbs heavier than our bikes at least. So going with a heavy 500 model to try and get the power delivery comparable to the YZ will only get you a complete whale of a bike that will tire your out and just be difficult on anything but tame trails.

So, I have been leaning with the 300cc four stroke enduro bikes to keep the weight down, which is the priority number one. I can sacrafice 4-5hp rather than get all the weight of the big bore bikes.

Another option is the TXC310. It is their more aggresive 4 stroke and is more a real motorcrosser (closed forks, linkage suspension). A dealer is telling me he can get a plate on it. If this is the case, I think this bike would be more aggressive and better off road than the street legal KTM350 EXC -f

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Hey 95 Jersey. Are you in the USA? Im in Australia and the rules are quite a bit different here. We have access to registerable two strokes that youd be far more happier on after your YZ than any of the 4 strokes you mentioned. Pick of the bunch would obviously the YZ250WR I mentioned earlier....its a full on YZ250 which can be registered in Australia for full road use. My cousin got his all done and street legal about a month ago.

I ended up putting a lot of work into my gas gas and it flies now compared to when I got it. Still isnt as quick as the YZ250WR or KTM300 that I ride with though.

Id be thoroughly test riding those 300c 4 strokes if i were you before buying it. I have been on one and they are completely underwhelming compared to a YZ. Will be an enormous change for you and if you are fast on your YZ I reckon its a change you wont like.

Top Bottom