KTM Introduces 2020 Supercross And Motocross Teams

Mark Kariya

KTM Introduces 2020 Supercross And Motocross Teams, by Mark Kariya

The Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team gathers for its group shot before 2019 450SX champion Cooper Webb put in laps on the KTM test track. (Mark Kariya/)
A lot has happened in the past 12 months and, it can be argued, much of it centers around KTM's US Supercross and motocross teams. A year ago at this time, of course, Cooper Webb was the new member of the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing squad alongside veteran Marvin Musquin. As the record books show, Webb performed beyond expectations and claimed the 2019 AMA Supercross 450SX class title with Musquin a solid third in the final points.

Blake Baggett (left) returns while Justin Bogle (right) got promoted from fill-in to full-time rider on the Rocky Mountain ATV-MC/WPS KTM squad. Owner Forrest Butler expects them to fight for podiums in the 450SX class. (Mark Kariya/)
In a prelude to the fast-approaching season, KTM invited enthusiast press to its aptly named “RD Field”—RD, of course, being retired champ Ryan Dungey, though there’s also a strong case that it stands for Roger DeCoster—which is literally around the corner from the KTM race shop and North American headquarters in Murrieta, California.

Related: KTM Unveils 2020 SX-E 5 Mini Electric Bike

There are a lot of new faces on the Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM team. One of them is Brian Moreau from France. He’ll be staying with Marvin Musquin, which should help ease the transition to American life for the 17-year-old. (Interesting note: Roger DeCoster sported number 104 in some of his early American appearances.) (Mark Kariya/)
There, KTM not only presented its official Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team (Musquin and Webb), but support teams Rocky Mountain ATV/MC-WPS-KTM (450SX riders Blake Baggett and Justin Bogle) and Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM (250SX riders Pierce Brown, Derek Drake, Brandon Hartranft, and Brian Moreau).

Every time Webb goes out, many eyes follow him. (Mark Kariya/)
In between riding sessions, we caught up with Webb to ask him to reflect on last year and how that success might affect him this year.

“I didn’t know how I was going to do,” he admitted. “I don’t think they knew how I was going to do, so it was a huge question mark and to see, really, the evolution of my career—being able to go from a fifth- to 10th-place guy in the 450 class to winning a championship is really insane when you think about it.

“Going into this year, for me, is actually I’m more confident and [feel] less pressure because I feel like I’ve done it and been able to achieve that goal. Now, I’m more experienced and more prepared, I know how to race these guys, I know what it’s like to do 17 races [in a season], I know what [team trainer] Aldon [Baker’s] program consists of.

“Obviously there’s pressure in racing. That’s the way it is; it’s always going to be like that, but I think for me, knowing that I have more experience and maturity and more time on the bike, everything like that, I think, is a huge positive for me.”

Derek Drake of the Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM 250SX squad put in a lot of laps. Who’ll ride which coast probably won’t be decided until just before Anaheim 1. (KTM has two Supercross courses plus a gnarly EnduroCross track on the property, with KTM North America headquarters literally around the corner and visible from parts of the property.) (Mark Kariya/)
Given that attitude as well as the support structure that surrounds him and the rest of the orange squad, the 2020 season will undoubtedly see them visit the podium regularly. The championship? That’s not a given, of course, and a number of competitors eagerly anticipate wresting it away. It signals another great season of Supercross, one we all look forward to.

...continues at source