PaulXR

Jul 29, 1999
I have a KTM 00 300EXC that broke the kickstarter level down near the pivot point. It has a crack in the casting that broke before I could return to the truck but I could at least bump start it and get back. Has anyone else had these trouble? The bike is 18 months old and I feel that this part should last a lifetime of the bike. Maybe KTM USA would like to see this part?

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
PaulXR,

Take it to your local KTM dealer and have them take a look at it. They may have seen this before or they can call KTM and inquire about it. I wouldn't think that the kickstart lever is a "wear item"
wink.gif

Chippa

Dec 12, 2000
It appears this is a reasonably common occurance. My '98 300 kickstarter had exactly the same problem. The lever snapped off at the pivot point. I suspect that the problem lies not in the kickstarter, but in the retaining bolt. I have had problems (as have friends with KTM's) with this bolt working loose.The kickstarter then slides on the spline coming down too far and hitting on the footpeg.
My suggestion is to use Loctite and reguarly check the retaining bolt.Happy riding.

Top Bottom