ktm kickstarter prob- not engaging

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
It started to go slowly, and has gotten progressivley worse. Now the kickstarter will not engageat all, unless the bike is on it's side. And even then it's intermittent. After it was warmed up, the kickstarter worked fine. Now I haven't started it to see if that's still the case.

When it's upright, it will not engage. Never. Took the side cover off, and can't see anything wrong. What could it be? We didn't have a socket large enough to take off the clutch basket, so we couldn't get the gears out to see what was going on underneath. Any suggestions? Is this something relatively routine?

I need to order parts a.s.a.p., but I'm afraid I won't know what to even look for once I get the gears off & lave a looksee underneath. Help!!!!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Zio,

I believe there is going to be a small (3/4") stamped steel catch (?) on the ratcheting mechanism that will be broken/missing/loose. I remember several years ago a friend of mine's 300 wouldn't kick and it was a pretty easy fix.

Get it torn apart and use your parts diagram to figure what's missing or broken. Hope that get's you going, I'm sure some of the more current KTM guys can help you in more detail.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Normally this is the kick starter pawl.. When are you leaving? I have a spare set of brand new parts to fix it (I think). When are you leaving. Do I have enough time to send them to you? I certainly don't need them anymore. They were for my '99 300MXC.

Like stated above a pretty easy fix.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
We're not leaving until Sunday. You bet you have time to send them. FedEx them to my work, and I'll paypal you the $$$. This is for the 98 250, btw (sold it to my bro-in-law).

My address is 2595 E. Perrin Ave., Ste 107
Fresno, CA 93720

If you don't have them, it sounds like something I can order from Cycle Zone. Let me know.

Thanks!

Bish

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Ah yes, the old kickstart pawl. Common problem. Fortunately, simple to fix with the proper tools. You will need to get the clutch basket off. It will not only require a large socket but it will require something to stop the basket from spinning. DON"T USE A SCREWDRIVER TO STOP IT. Been there, done that, and quickly ordered a new basket because I busted it. I made a tool out of 2 steel plates bolted to a metal bar. Once you get the basket off, pull the inside cover to get at the kickstarter mechanism. Once you look at it, it should be obvious how it works. THere is a spring that applies pressure to the pawl that seats in a notch when spun counterclockwise.

Good Luck.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
'98's had a defective pawl and spring, mostly the hole that the spring ran in was too tight.

I had to fix my '98 380, but after the new parts were installed, no problems. There was also a recall on the plate that activates/deactivates the pawl, wonder if that was ever done by KTM? Might be able to get them to pay for it..........

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Zio - i forgot. I am heading home right now to look for that Part. It should be eary to find it is in a paper bag in my KTM parts drawer. PM me your business name - I am going to overnight it in the name of the business.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Zio, I have it here at my office I have ALL the parts including the outer retainer ring. I always buy EVERY part associated with the fix, so there is NO surprises. PM me your business name.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
ZIO!!!!!

Empty your mailbox. What is more important parts to fix you bike or those 'other' stupid messages??

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
those other stupid messages are filled with love poems from Milk, instructions on how to tie my shoes, and your wife's cell number. I can't get rid of that stuff!

(box empty now)

And why aren't you going to DW? We'll make room for you in the truck. You can sit in my lap!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Zio - I am not a track guy. Heights scare me and going over the same terrain lap after lap bores me. So, I start going around the track and after my 3rd lap or so, I am so familiar with the layout I start to nod off.

I will make one - maybe next year. I do have a motorhome now.

Top Bottom