tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
I'm about to rebuild my 200 exc. The KTM manual says to use a hotplate to heat the case halves to 150*C and tap on the case with a mallet and the bng should drop out. The mech at H&H told me they use a torch instead of a hot plate.
Has anyone out there done this before? Did it work out well? Did you use propane or map gas? About how long did it take to heat the case half so it would expand that tiny skosh?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You can use a torch but be very careful to heat it evenly and don't get carried away. Heat and tap lightly until it just hot enough for the bearing to come out. Even a propane torch will melt the aluminium if you're not careful. Don't ask how I know, please :bang: :yikes:

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Thanks RM_guy. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I will proceed with caution.
My buddy tried to tell me the case was magnesium. I knew better but still had visions of the U.S.S. Enterprise flare locker fire. :yikes:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I used a heat gun on a 144 (also 85), and it does take quite some time. Equally important, freeze the new bearings and reheat the case before installation, I usually put them in the freezer before I start the disassembly.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Heat gun and a tap usually works for me. But I do think I'll start using my wife's hotplate. Time for a new one. Wife and hotplate if I really do this.

Top Bottom