KTM Mini Adventure 50 Questions??

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
My son (he's 5) took the training wheels off his bicycle a few weeks ago and is doing well. It looks like a motorcycle could be under the tree this christmas. He's 45 inches tall and the seat height on his bicycle is about 20.5".

I've ruled out the PW50 and JR50 because the seat height is approx. 19" on both. They would be fine now, but by Christmas I'm afraid both would be too small for hiim.

I'm leaning toward the KTM Mini Adventure 50. My question is, how peppie (is that a word) is the engine. I don't want it to scare him. I just want a smooth take off. Thanks for any advice.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
I started my doughtier at 6 she was 42" tall she had been off the training wheels of her bike for two years . Don’t rush it, I spent all day pushing her up and down the driveway so she new what the brake's were befor I started it. It was all day!
I started it and she road off into the sunset LOL I made her come back to me and stop 20 times befor I would let her go to the end of the driveway .
She took off like she had been riding for years. That lasted for about 2 hrs. then she hit a brick light column and put a lump on her shin that almost made me puke .She had riding boots on. After she sat for about 1/2 hr she made me start it again and she was off then back to the truck and said I didn’t want to end like that. ( AT 6) !

My son was 5 and 42" started the bike and he was off like a shot never ridden befor and was gone, new everything that there was to know. Just ask him. He had ridden on the tank since he was 2. I think that’s why he new how to ride befor I ever sat him on a bike.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Sorry I forgot to answer the question Get the 50 jr . It is way fast enough to have fun and learn to ride
It is good for two years at least
The good thing about the 50 JR is that the power comes on slow and you can raise the seat height after they grow into it

P.S. make sure the dealer gives you the small intake that they are suppose to give to you if your child has never ridden befor . you can take it out after they have figured out how to stop well.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The Adventure is going to get old pretty quick. It's in the same league as the PW & JR powerwise. A Pro Junior with a little more boost might be a better choice for something that will keep him interested longer. None of the shoe type clutch bikes have what you would call a smooth power delivery just because of the design of the system. You can tweak it a bit to make it a little more progressive but if you want a smooth transition the Dominator disc style is the only way to go. KTM was installing them in some of their mini's but the Adventure is not one of them and aftermarket it's a $500 upgrade :scream:

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I think the Pro Jr. would be to much for a beginner bike (10HP). I would lean toward the Jr. Adv, which is the same size of the Pro. Jr but with less HP. The Jr. Adv. (2002 model) can easily become faster with the addition of the Pro. Jr. exhaust pipe. The WP rear shock from the Pro. Jr. will bolt right in to the Jr. Adv as your son gets faster over the jumps.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Thanks for all the advice. I've definately got a while to decide. I thought I'd put my income tax refund back until I decide what to buy. He's been riding with me on my XR a while and loves it. All he talks about is getting one of his own and going racing with me.

I don't mind having to up-grade after a while, I just don't want him to be discouraged or become afraid of the bike. I'll keep looking around, it's not like I'm buying it today.

Thanks again........

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm with dstktmusa on this one too. I think the pro jr is way too much for a 5 year old to start with. Most of my friends with kids that ride move up to a jr or sr after a year or 2.

My daughter started on the mini adventurer at 8 and loved it. After a year on that one we moved up to a sx65 but that was too much, we sold it and went with the KX60 and she still loves it after a year.

The good thing about the mini was that we bought it new and sold it a year later and almost didn't loose any money, they have good resale. My friends that have bought the PW's and such couldn't say the same.

Top Bottom