KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
The KDX I bought for my son did not come with an odometer on it (it does have the drive unit and cable). I am trying to teach him enduro timekeeping, so an ODO on the bike really is needed.

I happen to have a stock (mechanical type) ODO from my 2000 KTM sitting here - does anyone know if it would work on the KDX? Assuming the cables will screw on OK, the only issue might be the "gearing" in the drive unit impacting the accuracy of the ODO?

It sure would be an easy cheap way to get an ODO on it for him! Otherwise I will have to buy a used stock KDX unit, or a TrailTech unit.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
kelseybrent said:
The mechanical KTM odo should work fine. I had a KTM kilometer odo I used on my KDX until it suffered some deceleration trauma.

deceleration trauma - I like that! I need to remember that the next time I try to explain to my wife why i need to replace something on my bike! :cool:

Was there any notable difference in accuracy from the two units you used?

SHREK

Jan 28, 2005
this is what i found when i compared a ktm speedo drive to a jap one .the ktm unit was 3:1 ratio or 3 cable rotations to one wheel revolution . and the jap one was 2:1

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
SHREK said:
this is what i found when i compared a ktm speedo drive to a jap one .the ktm unit was 3:1 ratio or 3 cable rotations to one wheel revolution . and the jap one was 2:1

Bummer - I was afraid that might be what I found out! Did that jap one happen to come off of a KDX?

I notice you are not from the US - so might there be a difference in overseas units?

The other thought that comes to mind - what about units set up for Miles vs Kilometers? 3 to 1 vs 2 to 1, the 2 to 1 is .67 of the 3 to one. 1 kilomenter is .62 miles - somewhat close?

I may temporarily stick my KTM unit on the bike and compare its reading to my TrailTech on my KTM - that will decide for sure!

Top Bottom