KTM Problem - poor customer service

LoneStar

Jun 3, 2002
I need to find someone at a factory level who can help me get a manual and a tool kit for an '01 LC4.

My bike didn't come with either. I just got off of the phone with KTM Usa in Ohio and the woman I spoke with could have cared less.

I am unsure if KTM USA would like to have such an apathetic person be perceived as the personification of the company's attitude toward customers.

I love their bikes, but at present my opinion is that their attitude is very poor. I am inclined to give KTM another chance to form my initial impression of their customer service.

Does anyone here know of a contact at the factory who will be inclined to anything more than brush me off like yesterdays trash ?

I wasn't impolite to Ms. Lavonda Thomas at KTM, but she certainly gave me the impression I was interrupting her day with a trivial matter.

Please, someone tell me KTM is more customer oriented than this. Am I screwed on the manual and tool kit ? My dealer is of little help. He insists all KTM's should be serviced by dealers and owners really don't need a manual at all OR a tool kit for damn sure.

If it sounds as though I am being unreasonable, please let me know here. I lost the manual to a Honda I have had for several years and the local Honda dealer ordered me one for free.

Is KTM so different after the sale ? Or did I just run into a person with a poor attitude ?

Thanks for the vent and please post if you can suggest a way I might find a little help

LoneStar

ktmatk

Apr 7, 2002
THE KTM FACTORY (AND ANY OTHER FACTORY) CAN'T HANDLE EVERY LITTLE PROBLEM WE RIDERS HAVE - THERE'S TOO MANY. THEY RELY ON THE DEALERS (THEY SHOULD DEFINATELY BE CIVIL, HOWEVER). IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A STINKY DEALER (PROBABLY A JAP BIKE SHOP THAT SELLS KTMS ON THE SIDE). A GOOD KTM DEALER GIVES BETTER SERVICE USUALLY - CALL A DIFFERENT ONE THAT DOESN'T SELL JAP BIKES AND DEAL WITH THEM. THEY UPS STUFF ALL THE TIME AND DON'T CARE WHERE YOU LIVE. H & H KTM OUTSIDE ATLANTA, GA. IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST - THEY HAVE AN AD IN THE BACK OF EVERY DIRT BIKE & DIRT RIDER MAGS.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Of course this depends on whether my post gets declared spam. :eek:

<Why yes it is, there is nothing that makes that site any more qualified to help.>

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
KTM USA only accepts calls from the dealerships. Every dealership is different. Some will work for you, some won't. That's true of any motorcycle dealer. IMO, KTM will bend over backwards for you if you're dealer goes to bat. KTM's problem is that they have to rely on someone to make a distinction between ligit customer needs and, I'm not talking about anyone in particular here, whiners and abusers. The dealerships are this filtering mechanism. If you have a dealer who won't go to bat for you, you're probably screwed. You can learn from that and vote with your wallet the next time you buy a bike.

Did you buy the bike new? If so, it almost sounds like the dealer purposefully didn't give you the tools and manuals that come with KTM's just so he could soak you for the service work, too. If so, I'd sure try to report that up to KTM somehow.

If you bought the bike used and it just didn't have the manuals or tools, you can get them from several places. Here's a phone list I put together, mostly back in 98 and early 99 when KTM parts were harder to get. I've ordered the list based on my experience with good service and good inventory.
KTM OEM parts:
Cycle Zone - KS Tollfree 866-843-7433
Larson's - MN 763-689-2760
Mike's cycle - LA 800-367-5209
Z racing - CA 714-449-1271
MSR - CA 800-892-2925
Moto-Sports - IA 515-285-8014
Gresham KTM - OR 503-667-3970
Hopp's KTM - PA 800-879-5867
H&H - GA www.ktmworld.com 770-920-1371
Holeshot - OH 330-253-7455
Kevins Racing Supply 800-654-4998
Letko Competition - KS 913-334-0881
Town & Country Racing 973-875-2111
Matto Cycle-www.mattocycle.com- PA 717-429-0678
Neely Racing 864-583-3653
Premier - AZ 602-867-8293
Discount KTM parts 800-860-0686
Freedom Cycles - MO 800-438-0727

KTM trick parts:
erider www.erider.ws 440-286-6273

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Where are you located? I'm sure there are a few DRN'ers in your neck of the woods and dealerships they have good experiences with.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
KTM does not want that type of reputation. KTM is very approachable. They do prefer you use your dealer (a dealer) as mentioned above. Let us know how things go, or if you need any other advice. Like Patman said - where are you located? By your sign on I would guess Texas. I buy almost all of my KTM parts from a dealer in Texas, so I know there is one VERY good dealer in central texas.

Top Bottom