MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
I finally got to ride the new 250 EXC this weekend and boy is the suspension stiff! I think I may not weigh enough (140 lb) for the springs which came on the bike. The KTM parts list has alternative springs available, all of which are progressive rates, but they don't say what rider weight each spring is good for. Stock springs are .4 kg forks, and PDS02 for the rear. The shock spring also comes in two lengths, 250 mm and 265 mm. Does anyone have suggestions on how to figure which springs to get? Also, how long does it take for the suspension to break-in? Maybe it will get a little softer, I've only got 55 miles (tight woods, whooped sand trails, and a few laps around the MX track). Thanks :)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The suspension definatly improves with time but i think you may be a little light a PDS1 from a 200EXC will work better-dont worry about the different lengths its just KTM have 2 ranges of springs to fit more riders and the 265mm ones are a bear to fit ive heard. ;)

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
Marcus, thanks I will order the PDS01 rear and .38 kg fork springs. With the new springs, does the suspension have to break in all over again? thanks

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Wow this is the ifrst I've heard of the EXC suspenders being too hard. Put some meat on them there bones.;)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
No i wont need breaking in again the reason it takes a long time on WP stuff is the shock has 2 pistons(2*as many as normal)and the components are very well made with tight toelrences and they are made from steel instead of aluminium.

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
Marcus,
Steel components, really? Does that mean less oil contamination from the Al? Also does this alleviate the need to hard anodize the shock body which I think is supposed to be done to reduce wear.

Yarbonwick there is more than enough meat on these bones thank you! :D

ok, just so you know I'm not making this up, Trail Rider magazine did a review of this bike a couple of issues ago, and THEY thought it was stiff, and they were 195 lb!! :p

...I guess I could attach some leg and ankle weights though...

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Personally if it were me, and it's not, I would let the suspenders break in before I lay down the Benjamins for new ones. Mine were completely different after breaking in. Tie zip tie to you fork legs and watch them. The suspenders have a great amount of adjusment to them. Besides, get faster and you'll be wanting the stockers back. Remember the adjustments on these WP are backwards, ie. out increases the rebound/compression. Too stiff? turn them in.....AFTER the break-in. Also, far too many people go buy high dollar components when a simple fluid adjustment is all they need. KTM's are race ready out of the box, that means the suspenders too. L8R.
Watch those zipties!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
yes there is no need to hard anodise the shock and the parts almost never wear out.The oil will go off after about 75hours i expect- you can tell as it suddenly starts bottoming out when it didnt prevoiusly.I would definatly bed it in first and dont forget in the forks you could try 2.5wt oil.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
MotoEnduro,

I'm sure it is stiff for you at 140lbs. Yes, it will get much better, and as Marcus said, the components will last forever. Break the bike in for about 100-200 miles and when changing the springs, try the 2.5wt oil at 160mm. This worked great in my bike (same forks) in the rocks where little HS compression is required. The rebound clickers will have to be dialed in about 3-4 clicks more to compensate. Decide on a revalve after trying these options. NJ is tough to set up for, isn't it? Sand whoops and pines one week and rock gardens the next. Good Luck.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
thanks for the advice everyone, I will let it break in some more, and install the lighter springs and 2.5 wt oil too.

Yarbonwick, I did notice on the forks there was a dirt/dust ring all the way at the bottom of the sliders, so I guess my forks did bottom out at some point in the ride (probably that Volkswagen-sized whoop section :eek: )

GlennP you are right about NJ, the conditions are totally opposite! It would be nice to have 2 sets of forks, one for the rocks and one for the sand :p Thanks for the setup advice it will be a good starting point.

Top Bottom