YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I've been looking at the 08 KTM XC and XCW. Im kinda interested in the XCW. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I do alot of hill climbing and woods riding and I really would like to know what the best bike would be for that type of riding. I know....it probably depends on what type of rider I am. LOL. I currently ride a completely stock 04 yz 250 and Im really don't have any probs other than I would like a little more low end now and then.
Im told that the 08 XCW's have electric start and Im just not crazy about all the extras (more to go wrong down the road).Looks like the bike weighs a little more. Im just a little old school. Anybody buy a new xcw with electric start? Opinions please!!!

http://www.ktm.com/Model-Comparison.96.20.html

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
which XC or XCW? The 105? Or the 530?

as far as e-start and weight? I figure it's easier to trim weight from the rider than the bike.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The XC's are really based on the SX models for the guys who race WORCS and such and don't want to go to the time and expense of trying to convert an MX bike to offroad. Thus, they have stiffer suspension, close ratio transmission, more aggressive ignition, billet triple clamps w/adjustable offset, etc.

The XC-Ws have the wide ratio tranny (hence the W) and plusher suspension. As you pointed out, for '08 they'll have e-start. Even though the '08 XC-W is supposed to weight the same or less than the '07 XC-W w/o e-start, I'm like you in that I don't want yet another battery and the weight. Even my old KTM 300 is a 1-2 kick affair, so this alone will push me to an XC.

The other thing to consider is there are some great deals on the '07s now, which were all new for '06 and were really dialed in for '07. That said, I believe the new shock design with the longer spring is going to be better, especially coupled with the new stiffer frame.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'm guessing you are looking for the 2 stroke? If so just get the 250 XC, no e-start.

If you want a direct comparision to your YZ 250, then it would be the KTM SX 250. The SX 250 is 208lbs vs the XC at 215 or the XCW-e at 223.

The XC will give you more low end torque then the SX model for it's built woods ready, but for more aggressive riders while the XCW-e is more for the average non aggressive trail rider.

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
bsmith said:
I'm guessing you are looking for the 2 stroke? If so just get the 250 XC, no e-start.

If you want a direct comparision to your YZ 250, then it would be the KTM SX 250. The SX 250 is 208lbs vs the XC at 215 or the XCW-e at 223.

The XC will give you more low end torque then the SX model for it's built woods ready, but for more aggressive riders while the XCW-e is more for the average non aggressive trail rider.

So, your saying even the XC will give me a little more low end vs. the SX or my YZ? I've really wondered if i would be happy with the XCW and have been leaning to the XC with just the old kick start. "Keep it simple" in my book. I've also ridden my buddies XCW and thought it to be quite a bit more mild than my YZ. I like my Yamahas ,but im ready for a change.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
The XC will have some weight added to the flywheel, and the XC-w even more, but thats speculation, I'm not 100% sure. A good dealer can help point out the differences and nuances of the 3 different bikes. You can also add a flywheel weight to your YZ, giving it that more mild feeling. My buddy has an RM-250 set up for the woods and it's great.
YZ needs the aftermarket parts to become woods friendly while the XC is built for them.

I have no problems with my e-start or battery, so as per keep'n it simple, these things are great. Especially on the hills when you need to get started again.

My favorite is when your going up rocky single track and you stall. Instead trying to kick it from awkward position, you tap the button and go :cool:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
the new '08 also are supposed to have the new twin chamber forks. And asymetrical swingarms.

The XC is going to disappoint you in open areas... my 200 Xc tops out at 60mph as the 200 XCW would top out at 80 mph ... the Xc has a closer gearbox for tight stuff. It's really how you want to ride it... But for offroad and not motocross, it's gonna be far and above your yz, no matter what you choose.

Top Bottom