Eyedoc

Nov 2, 1999
What is the current cure for grabby/touchy rear brakes on '00 250? The bike was just purchased from original owner and the rear rotor is grooved and needs to be replaced. Is the stock rotor able to provide smooth brake action ? How about brake pads? I read something about an aftermarket rotor called a wave rotor that was suposed to provide more modulation.

Thanks

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I have a 2001 200 and mine are too. (aside from the fact that I'm not good at using them) According to a recent magazine test (don't remember which one) the rotors didn't provide a significant advantage over stock Japanese bikes. Don't know how they stack up to KTM brakes though.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Seems to be more of a problem for people who have recently switched to KTM's. I had the same problem with my first KTM, a 98 380, too. I adjusted the engagement point down, tried different compounds and styles of brakes (late model Honda CR250 OEM pads work awesome on these bikes, BTW), etc. Even went to a solid rotor. I thought I'd finally gotten the correct setup as the problem went away.

Then I got my 99 250E and didn't have to do anything. Apparently, I'd just gotten used to the KTM brakes. Same thing happened when I got my 01 400E. No stalling, great brakes. I think they are still touchy but I've just gotten better at modulating them.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I just replaced the rear pads on my 300exc with Galfer Gold pads. Not nearly as grabby. Works much better now. They have about 5 different compounds for different feels. The cost was the same as other pads. Some people will remove as much as 25 percent of the pad from one end to make the contact area smaller. They say it works but I haven't done it.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I've taken this issue up on a view "in-the-know" riders and they have all given me the same response. KTM's are brake turners. It took some time for me to realize this and adjust to it but low-n-behold, it's true. There are some compounds to take away the grabbiness but also time seems to take away the effect as well, though not by much. When mine was new, I was all over the place fighting to stay up and away from a tree, but now I believe it's made me quicker in the corners with brake turning.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom