xryzjj

Dec 31, 2000
i have a 2001 200exc, my first ktm, the bike is awesome but the rear brake is like a light switch. it is either off or locked up, no modulation. any ideas or is this normal?

jj

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Yes, ride harder :)

Seriously, those brakes have awesome stopping power if they are the same ones they put on the 380. I can see some problems if you try and modulate them on an off-camber rock. Have you tried to move the lever lower, that might do something for you? If you want to get serious, I think you could find some harder compound pads or something to make them slightly less grabby.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Give it some time, you'll get used to them. I struggled with the rear brake on my first KTM, too. Now I think they're great. OEM Honda late model CR250 rear pads work well, too.

xryzjj

Dec 31, 2000
rear brakes

john,

i had a 96 cr250 before my 200 and i loved the brakes on it. i have already put oe honda pads on the front and they are great. the honda rear pads are alot smaller than the ktm pad, they look like they would move around quite a bit(loose fit in the caliper). any problem with yours? i am also going to play with the pedal heigth and see if that helps.

thanks,
jj

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Re: rear brakes

Originally posted by xryzjj
john,
the honda rear pads are alot smaller than the ktm pad, they look like they would move around quite a bit(loose fit in the caliper). any problem with yours?

No, no problems. They are a bit smaller but they will work.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I too have the Honda brake pads on my 125sx. I didn't notice much difference on the front, still work nicely. The back was a different story. Much better! Yes, they are smaller and don't fill the perch up like the OEM pads, but the feel is a lot less grabby. I can feather the back now without locking up. (I still don't like that they don't fit perfect, but I'll get over it.)

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Rear Honda pads

I had some on my bike also... I loved them. But I note that I broke my caliper pin (the pins the calipers float on) when I used them and I attribute it to that. I had first removed the heat shields on the pads to make room, but then put them back on after pads wore a bit. Caliper was at maximum extention and I would not reccomend having that - a lot of stress on those pins. Again, I loved the performance of those pads though. I am a 'brake dragger', so perhaps that had something to do with it. I heard of another case of this happening.

I use EBC pads now with exellent results.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Ah yes, let me also clarify....the pads I use are not OEM Honda pads, but EBC's for a late model Honda 250. :D

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I replace the pins every other pad change. I turn them 180 once and then toss them. They get worn and grooved and I consider them a consumable just like pads.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
My local KTM dealer runs a KX caliper set up on his ktm's for this reason. He likes it much better, and he ends up with a spare for racer's who break their stocker.

Top Bottom