KTM RFS Decompression Bolt Failures

Wanker

Jun 8, 2000
I recall reading somewhere in this forum that someone got dealer and/or KTM help when repairing an RFS engine which digested itself when an internal decompression bolt fell off. Recently my buddy's exc400 died while riding at a pretty mellow pace and, to make a long and painful story short and painful, it seems the nut and bolt (which hold part of the decompression assembly in the head) backed out and fell in.
Bolt gets caught in timing chain
Timing chain breaks
Timing chain crammed through head into atmosphere
Shining parts now visible through gaping hole in side of engine.
Tears now visible on buddies face. ( Bike not even a year old )
Dealer says it's not covered.
Buddy working through KTM USA and so far a dead end.

I know this is not an isolated incident and suspect if it were a $5 fix KTM would do it for free. This is clearly a design or manufacturing defect. To expect customers to cover the cost of internal parts falling off seems like a good way to get rid of cutomers.
I am hankerin' hard for a 400exc but now I'm leaning toward the DRZ400E. I presently own a KTM 2 stroke which I have no compaints about. But the unsupportive treatment my Buddy is getting is a major turn-off. IF anybody has any info on how KTM has treated other decompression failures I'd love to hear ( read ? ) it.

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
Check out the Holeshot message board or thumpertalk. Lots of good info on cam bearing failures and compression bolt replacement.

flea

Oct 8, 2001
That sucks. It has happened to me 2 times. Fortunately I caught it before it did the kind of damage you describe. I welded the a special nut to a high grade screw so I can ride with confidence. In your friends case I think KTM should kick in something (at least parts) I never pressed the issue, but I think in this case you should

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Flea is right, ktm should help.
I believe it has a lot to do with the integrity of your dealer.
My experience has shown me that some dealers are not enthusiast driven.
Try finding a better ktm dealer!
Call around and talk to other dealers asking for help.
I have had excellent success with this approach.
keep us posted...

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I'm not sure what KTM will do for him since there was a bulletin out but it's critical that a dealer go to bat for him with KTM. Him contacting them directly will result in a dead end, guaranteed. KTM filters out the non-legit complaints by trusting their dealers to do get back to them with problems they feel are issues KTM should stand behind. I know there are some poor dealers out there that won't take the time to call KTM USA and that's where the problem is most of the time.

Make sure you take your business elsewhere if you have one of those kinds of dealers.

John 300 EXC

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2000
The only place I have seen a KTM bulletin is on the internet when JEB has posted links.
KTM should send the bulletins directly to KTM owners. It doesn't do the owner of the bike any good to find out about the bulletin after the problem has occurred!
How have other KTM RFS owners found out about KTM Bulletins?

flea

Oct 8, 2001
The bulletins are useless unless they get read. Mine went before the bulletin was published. Do you think I have a case? Really the
average consumer is simply not going to know from the owner's manual. The bultens are directed to the repair comunity. I agree with John, the bulletins shoud be sent to ownwers or KTM should suck it up and pay for some repair. Meantime let's convince Jeb to keep posting them so interested people can be informed

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The three I have for the RFS are on this page:
http://pws.chartermi.net/~jejb/pictures_main.html

I know there is at least one more about spoke torque wrenches but I don't have a copy. I'll post it if someone sends or faxes it to me.

I agree that it shouldn't just be word of mouth on the bulletins. The dealers are suppose to be proactive about it (and many are) and tell you about them but that varies on the dealer and how often you go in. It'd be nice to have a better system in place.

chrispmoto

Feb 5, 2002
Well I want to thank you Jeb for the info on the bulletins cuz when I read them I had my mechanic buddy do the work and he did some great "preventitive measures". I would have NEVER known of those bulletins if it werent for this cool website and great guys like you. So thanx and by the way, how did you get those bulletins?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
jeb - I'm with chrispmoto ....

Is there a site that lists the bulletins out by model? My 400 is an 02, but I am still going to check to be sure. This is clearly one case where the design engineers were asleep at the switch.

Thanks for putting them up on your site! :aj:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Jeb, nice truck! your a credit to this site! sounds like you need to be diligent with your maintenance on these performance four strokes! thank you for your extra effort. "I want one bad"

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I got the bulletins from www.cyclezonektm.com . All the dealers get the bulletins. Some are good about letting the customers know about them, some aren't. There should probably be a better format for it but, for now, these BB's will have to do, I guess. I put them up as a service to my fellow riders. I'll post any I get but those are the only ones I have.

Marlin,
The truck has been awesome. This is my first diesel and I have to say I'm very pleased. WAY quieter and cleaner running than the Cummins or PSD. Plus a fair amount more power right out of the box. Mileage is as high as 22 on the highway.

Top Bottom