KTM RFS seats, tanks, fuel economy

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
1. I've ridden a couple of RFS's and liked the bikes alot, but the seats were hard and too low. Has anybody purchased the KTM tall seat for their RFS (SX or EXC)? Are the KTM seats SX and EXC specific?
2. How many MPG or MP tank are people getting from the RFS (SX or EXC and 400 or 520)? I like the clear tank on the EXC, but the SX tank/shrouds look very cool and is unbelievably slim and low. I've always preferred mx tanks on my enduro bikes. I ride smooth and gotten 50 miles out of a 2 gallon tank on a 2-stroke when the guys I ride with only get 30.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I have a "tall" seat on order for my MXC. I did get to handle a "tall" SX seat, it was softer than stock with an all black gripper cover. KTM parts prices are wild, some things cheap, some very dear.:eek: The seat is a good deal at $89 - IMHO. Oh, to answer your quiestion seats are MXC/EXC or SX. You can put an SX seat on an MXC with the SX tank and shrouds.

As far as range, I'm hearing 50 to 60 miles on the stock EXC tank. My MXC tank is good for 100. I'm going to swap the stock tank for an IMS (3.1)so I can get a bit more forward in the turns!;)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I can get over 50 miles out of my '02 400 SX tank. I am giving full credit to the P-38 accelerator pump cover. I get around 28mpg now. I was getting around 20-21 mpg before I installed the P-38.

I can also get over 80 miles out of my 300MXC tank (3.2). The jetting on this bike is dialed, which really helps!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by Wild Hare
The seat is a good deal at $89 - IMHO.

That price includes the cover and seat base, right? That is a good deal.

I've got the Malcolm Smith Motorsports tall soft foam on my 400. It cost $39 if I remember correctly. It's softer but not way soft like a KDX seat, for example. I think it's just right. I got a taller black seat cover from EE.

I get around 55 miles out of a tank on my EXC stock tank. It's only .3 gallons or so more than the SX tank so range won't be that different between the two.

Oct 27, 2000
Jeb,
Have you had good luck with your EE seat cover? Mine fell apart where the pleather is sewn to the Kevlar looking material after only a couple rides. Another problem I had with EE was the tall foam broke down near the front of the seat real fast. I have other EE products on my bike and they are nothing but top notch. I just wanted to know if you had any problem.

creator8

Jul 22, 2000
ktm tall seat is the best mod i did to the bike. softer and taller. still not sit on seat all day soft though. you got to stand up to ride these bikes fast anyway.

70 miles is the absolute outside range on a stock exc tank. supposedly it holds 2.4 gallons although i actually think its less. i've gotten well over 100 on my mxc tank.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
This is my second cover like this. The other one was branded Malcolm Smith and had an orange non-slip area but they have to be made by the same company. Totally identical construction. The stitching went away on the seam you're talking about but the seat never seperated. It started to crack on the gripper area is why I replaced it. I've been using the EE cover for 3 months or more now with no problems at all. All my EE stuff is first rate too except the odo replacement. It's just soft aluminum and will groove up fast. Better off with the coated ones from erider.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Can you do the BK mod on the rfs carb? (like a yamaha?)
Are the yamaha needles ekp, ekn, applicable on the 520?
The dealer changed the bikes jetting claiming it was a golden state set-up stock.
I'd like to know how to get my freinds bike to go more than 40 miles before reserve.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
P-38 accelerator pump cover.

Strick
What is the P-38 accelarator pump cover? I must claim ignorant to some of the idiosyncracies of modern 4-strokes. All the 4-strokes I've owned or ridden extensively had DelOrto carbs. What does it do and what are the side effects?

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
My 01 400 exc runs for about 160km using 6.5 litres of fuel. I only used it on the roads and highways. as for the sx seats and tanks. the local dealer sells them for $400+ including seat,tank(black) and orange shrouds. lets u move further up the seat during a corner.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Moose sells complete seats now, check out their 02 catalogue/website. www.mooseracing.com
Clarke sells a 3.1 tank now also, it's a great fit and keeps my range close to 100-miles.
I don't know what the P-38 thing is but the jetting is so good in stock trim that I wouldn't do anything to change it, even if it means better mileage.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
endoqwest,
How did the Clarke tank fit for you? Did you have to do any mods to get it to fit correctly? Can you access the upper shock bolt and the choke knob with the tank in place? Does it seem as narrow as the EXC tank?

Thanks

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Jeb, the Clarke tank fits better than any aftermarket tank I've ever had. I'm not doing a sales pitch here either. Shock bolt, choke hole, petcock mount and rubber mounts all fit perfectly, I couldn't believe it. I had an MXC tank on from the beginning (I ordered the bike that way) so I can't tell you if it's as slim as a stock EXC tank but it sure feels good and joins at the seat really well. The MXC tank protects the radiators really well but doesn't support them from the side, when I switched to the Clarke tank my radiators straightened out nicely. It's about 2 1/2 to 3 inches higher at the cap but doesn't contort the seat at all. The best part about the whole thing for me is that fuel doesn't slosh forward into the "shrouds" of the tank. Now the front end behaves better in turns and braking. Give Clarke a call at 503-829-2156

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I've seen one of the IMS tank on a 520 MXC up close and it was really nice. The Clarke looked like it stuck up pretty abruptly in the front....to the point I'd be fearful of damage to certain "sensitive area's", other than that it looked great. The IMS was a little smoother transition at the top. I've seen tanks from both company's that were works of art....and "not so hot". I think it depends on the model ( and the molds ). I'd bet both know that anybody with a 7K buck dirtbike wouldn't accept anything but the best ;-)

Top Bottom