madwrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 31, 2002
I got new seat foam (softer--my butt still hurts from the last enduro) and a new seat cover from E.E. My question is: any trick to installing the new foam and cover on the seat pan? Several friends have replaced their KTM seats, but have had upholstery shops put 'em together. It's not that I'm cheap (I am), I just think it looks like something less than rocket science to do this, and it will give my riding buddies something (else) to razz me about if I screw it up.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
mad,
I do my own, and it's no biggy. You should use a pneumatic stapler if you want the best job. Lots of folks say they can use a hand stapler but I have never had any luck with them at all.
Just be sure and keep things centered and stretch the thing on front to back. Give a couple of holding staples on both ends then work front to rear and tug things in as tight as you can. Space your first staples out a bit, then come back once you are done and give it some more.
You will maybe want to bunch it up and fold it when you come to where the seat changes angle about 3/4's back. Just look at your OEM seat and you will see what to do.
Good luck

madwrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks Jaybird, I'll give it a go. I thought it looked simple, I just didn't know if it had to be stretched some special way or something.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
madwrench don't pay any attention to Jaybird. You can use a hand held stapler, he's just lacking the wrist strength to hold the stapler fast against the seat base while operating the lever. Now granted I also use an air driven stapler but it's because I'm a gadget freak ;)

The only way you really need to stretch the cover is TIGHT. Man I hat those loose looking cover jobs, also if you trim the material a little long after you install it you can usually get ahold of enough to snug it up again. If you trim it short and pull a few staples it's a real PITA. (this I know).

madwrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks Pantless One. I'm not gonna trim anything until I'm satisfied with the way it's done. Loose/wrinkled/crooked would drive me friggin' nuts. I'll use a power stapler, although my wrists are plenty strong from all that ambidextrous self-gratification.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Yeah, don't listen to Jaybird. He knows not what he says.
Pat, I'll arm rassle you anytime my friend! :)

(ps....mad, just go get a hand stapler and see if I know what I'm talking about...especially when you are trying to hold the cover tight and use the hand stapler....I'm certain you will find that Patman is the authority on this procedure and I'm full of used staples):D

Pat, has someone wizzed in your corn flakes recently or what? Don't they ever let you go to town? Can't find any good movies to watch? Too much starch in the BVD's? :think:

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Jaybird -----> ;) = joking around

I put a few seat covers on with a hand stapler and it's not much fun. Not impossible and not hard to make it look right but it's more work than it needs to be. Of course I'm an authority on this! KTM's have fire bricks for seat foam.

Nobody has watered my cereal ( I prefer Wheaties or Capt. Crucnh though). Is there something wrong with saying it like it is? So maybe my views are not what the majority thinks is "correct" I'm still sleeping just fine and entitled to post them just as everyone that disagrees is entitled to do likewise. I seem to recall some of your ideas not meeting with popular opinion but it didn't seem to bother you so I should be different? Besides every so often ya' just got to rattle a few cages to keep things interesting, did you ever consider maybe I'm being contrary to liven things up? :p

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Installing the new cover is not too bad once you get the hang of it. You'll
probably have to pull staples a couple of times to get the wrinkles out of the
new one. The way I do it is sort of like most of the directions say. Fit the
front first. Staple it on with a couple of staples. Then stretch the cover
pretty tight to the back and put in 3 staples or so. I think the key is pulling
it fairly tight before you tack the back down. Keeps those damn wrinkles out of there. I pull it until the base plastic starts to bend backwards from the
force.

Then pull it down tight in the middle and tack it in place on the front side of the V on both sides. Then work from the front towards the middle and then the middle to the back. Sort of massage the material forcefully down the sides as you work your way back.

You should have a flap at the middle V when you get done. Just double that over and staple it down. In the back corners, you can either just fold the flap over and staple it (doesn't look quite as nice but works fine) or you can divide the flap into smaller sections and staple them down a bit at a time. I guess you can do that with the middle flap, too, but I don't.

I use a heavy duty hand stapler with heavy duty 1/4" staples for most of it. In
some of the corners where the material gets doubled over I use 5/16" staples.
It's best to work with a warm seat cover and plastic base. Hold the assembly
firmly and try to get the stapler at as much of right angle as possible while
pressing hard on it. That'll get most of your staples seated well.

As far as trimming, it's up to you. You have to trim to get around the seat hold down points but, beyond that, it doesn't hurt to leave the extra material there.

Take your time and it should turn out great.

Jul 22, 2006
WOW, You have an answer for all questions, huh ? :blah:

jeb said:
Installing the new cover is not too bad once you get the hang of it. You'll
probably have to pull staples a couple of times to get the wrinkles out of the
new one. The way I do it is sort of like most of the directions say. Fit the
front first. Staple it on with a couple of staples. Then stretch the cover
pretty tight to the back and put in 3 staples or so. I think the key is pulling
it fairly tight before you tack the back down. Keeps those damn wrinkles out of there. I pull it until the base plastic starts to bend backwards from the
force.

Then pull it down tight in the middle and tack it in place on the front side of the V on both sides. Then work from the front towards the middle and then the middle to the back. Sort of massage the material forcefully down the sides as you work your way back.

You should have a flap at the middle V when you get done. Just double that over and staple it down. In the back corners, you can either just fold the flap over and staple it (doesn't look quite as nice but works fine) or you can divide the flap into smaller sections and staple them down a bit at a time. I guess you can do that with the middle flap, too, but I don't.

I use a heavy duty hand stapler with heavy duty 1/4" staples for most of it. In
some of the corners where the material gets doubled over I use 5/16" staples.
It's best to work with a warm seat cover and plastic base. Hold the assembly
firmly and try to get the stapler at as much of right angle as possible while
pressing hard on it. That'll get most of your staples seated well.

As far as trimming, it's up to you. You have to trim to get around the seat hold down points but, beyond that, it doesn't hurt to leave the extra material there.

Take your time and it should turn out great.

Top Bottom