jimbo

May 20, 2000
the seat height on the spec sheet for the 250 exc is 36.4". my thought is does this compare to the kdx 200 which is 36.4" also.
i'm within a month of getting a new bike and i really am leaning towards the ktm 250exc. any help is appreciated!

jimbo

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I would recommend trying them out, if not a full test ride, at least sit on one to see how high it is. Every manufacturer must measure a little differently. A CR80 Expert is listed at 34.5 inches. My Husqvarna 125 is listed at 35.8, but in real life there is a huge difference. And my Husky measured from the ground to the low spot on the seat while not on a stand actually measures 38 inches. I have always assumed they measure unloaded, but now I'm not sure.

NH KTM #313

Mar 11, 2001
you do need to try them if you can
i just went through this and i am 5'4''
the ktm will feel tall no questions about it
i run my race sag a little more so the seat is a little lower and also
dropped my front forks (you will gain in turning a lot too)
it may bring a little more head shake at high speed
my 125 exc turns on a dime now but the head shake is noticable

the kdx loves to turn no matter
in my opinion though you really cant compare those 2 bikes evenly
the ktm is light years ahead of the kdx the kdx has seen minimal changes since time began although it does have a lot of hop up potential especially the 200
the ktm motor is absolutly awesum as is the overall quality of everything else

i have a 00 klx 300 as well as an 01 125exc and my bro has an 01 kdx 200 our best friend has an 01 kdx220 we all agree the ktm is far ahead of them

if the machine is still to high for you the sub frame of the ktm can be lowered also very easily and the seat foam can be shaved

be glad to answer any questions if you want to e-mail me direct

these are my opinions other peoples opinions may vary ---
unless of course they have ridden orange
cant wait to see what ktm has for 02

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I've been on many different band wagons over the years, but I have to say that I am sold on KTM. (I like the VORS too)
The KTM's stink of quality. Far superior to Kaw. (sorry old green friend :) )

Shave the foam first, you may not do another thing. But go for the shock spacer next. It will get you down nicely. I would cut on my subframe as a last resort only. BUT, I would absolutely do all of the above before I used my suspension settings to lower me. Not a good idea. Also, many KTM's will not like the forks up high at all. 5mm's is way too much on mine. I don't suggest using your forks to get you positioned either.

NH KTM, I'm not trying to say your advice is bad, I just happen to be one who doesn't like to give up suspension/performance for fit. Too many other proper things can be done first to get you closer to our friend, the dirt.:)

jimbo

May 20, 2000
my point about the comparison is i fit pretty good on my old 96 kdx without any loose suspension settings. i am only 5'6" and have a 29" inseam, but the kdx wasn't obnoxiously tall for me and if i could get the increased power and handling of the 250exc my search for ultimate experience would be that much closer. again i am thankful for any help!

jimbo

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
One of the biggest differences between the KTM and KDX is that the KTM is narrower across the seat than the KDX. At 5'3", I didn't feel comfortable on the stock KDX, so I had mine lowered 1.5". When I got the KTM, I rode it for a year on the stock suspension. The narrower, firmer seat on the KTM makes it easier to move around and get a leg down. Over last winter, I decided it was time to re-valve the bike for my weight, and as long as I was at it, had the suspension shortened 1" overall. Big difference in ease of starting, and getting a foot down. No noticeable difference for clearing logs, etc. So, my advice would be to buy it, ride it, and then see if you need it adjusted. I'm guessing it will be pretty close already, if the stock KDX isn't a problem. :)

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
My friend just bought a KDX 220 and has spent a lot of money fine tuning the front and rear suspension. My recommendation...buy the KTM. The stock suspension and engine are light years ahead of the KDX.

jimbo

May 20, 2000
Hey thanks!! You guys are the best! I've been waiting for about six months since I sold the kdx and thinking of what to get to replace the kawi. I'd been thinking of getting another kdx (new) or a drz 400 just to ride on my adopted trails and do maintenance work, but here in Prescott Valley, Az. the town just put in a GP size motocross track at our new fairgrounds. Man! after seeing those guys rip around the track and having too much fun (the over 40 class) I thought getting a bike that could do double duty would be just the order!
Hence the KTM 250exc. All your comments help me to not go heavy 4stroke or needs mo' money to rip type rides and get the best of many worlds!

Only a few more weeks to go and getting more excited, Jimbo :confused:

quadrunner

Jul 20, 2001
More info about the shock spacer! Wouldn't that lower the ground clearance? Change the angle of swing arm? Seems like the sub frame mod would be better by comparison. Help me out. I've heard about shock spacers, but don't understand where it goes or how it lowers.

I am of course...going to shave the seat foam first.

Greek kattom

Jul 24, 2001
Ktm 250 exc

Originally posted by jimbo
Hey thanks!! You guys are the best! I've been waiting for about six months since I sold the kdx and thinking of what to get to replace the kawi. I'd been thinking of getting another kdx (new) or a drz 400 just to ride on my adopted trails and do maintenance work, but here in Prescott Valley, Az. the town just put in a GP size motocross track at our new fairgrounds. Man! after seeing those guys rip around the track and having too much fun (the over 40 class) I thought getting a bike that could do double duty would be just the order!
Hence the KTM 250exc. All your comments help me to not go heavy 4stroke or needs mo' money to rip type rides and get the best of many worlds!

Only a few more weeks to go and getting more excited, Jimbo :confused:

Hi from Greece!!

I think you sould go with the KTM I am a big KTM fan.
I rode a 96' 250 EXC and it was great,think of what a 01' or a 02' wiil be like.
I have just picked a 02' 520 EXC and it is a blast to ride!
You are going to have a great time on the KTM just go for it.;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom