Cdndrtbk

Apr 7, 2002
I have a 03 KTM 250EXC-RFS and find the seat to be extremely firm. Has anyone had an experience with aftermarket seat foams. Is there any way of making the stock seat any less firm.

Thanks

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Cant comment on aftermarket seat foams ...but KTM seats are ironing boards attached to a bike. Just take it to an upholsterer get them to glue a strip of softer foam on top and recover it. Ive done that just to soften the impact a little and a couple of friends have done it too. You can even put the original seat cover away for sale purposes. Otherwise.....we both gotta go jogging so we can stand up longer!!!!

1bgdawg

Sep 27, 2004
tall seat is the way to go

:laugh:

most bike shops can order you a tall seat man!! Most after market brands do carry these!! mine is very very soft ,

DA DAWG

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
those seats will make a man out of you. i gotten use to mine and i like it because it makes you not want to sit down as much and i have found that i am faster and in more control in a crouch position. i have heard of some people drilling holes in the seat foam and then recovering the seat.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
You can buy aftermarket "Honda" foam that's much more comfy. I would also suggest going taller if you go softer. You really kind of sink into it. Buying a complete seat is the best way to go IMHO.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Just get used to it!

Stand up more.

But, as I learned at the Six Days this year, if you have to, you can sit down and get pounded by the KTM seat with no real ill effects....

I like the harder KTM seat for racing, my 2004 Yamaha YZ seat is too soft.....

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Enduro engineering makes makes a good soft seat. taller than stock and they have new ones that are shorter.These are complete seats and cost around $140 shipped, but are worth the money!

billc

Mar 13, 2004
The seat on my '05 EXC is softer than the one on my '03 WR.
I thought I read somewhere that the new KTMs have softer seats than the older ones....

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
EE Tall soft! Love it!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I have both a Moose seat and an SDG seat. The Moose is much better than stock, but is still more firm than any Jap. bike. The SDG seat is very plush even compared to the Moose. It's not considered a "tall" seat, but it is about 1/2" taller than my Moose seat.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Buckholz said:
Just get used to it!
I like the harder KTM seat for racing, my 2004 Yamaha YZ seat is too soft.....

If you think that the newer YZ's seat foam is too soft then you must have already lost all feeling in that part of your body! :yeehaw:

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I like the hard seats, it's easier to move around- to me it feels real wierd when i ride a Suzuki or a Honda because they are too mushy and it is hard to slide around on it. But, that is why we hae all these different bikes, so we can get what we want

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
i picked up a Guts tall seat for my dearly departed '02 EXC400. taller. and softer. net result was that it didn't feel like it put me any farther over the pegs than the stock seat. but with a little more "spring", i think it helped my creaky old knees a bit when standing up..., so i kept it.

the torture rack on my shiny new '05 EXC450 is typical KTM fare. but i think i'll not change it. the pocket is exactly where it needs to be & i don't want to risk something that'll put me farther back on the bike. i think it's easier to move around on, and i can't tell any difference on the knee's when standing up.

years back, i realized that my skinny little heinie needed more comfort than what KTM or any aftermarket foamer could provide, so i shopped around & picked up a pair of bicycle shorts with the thickest baddest gel pad that i could find.

frankly...; THEY ROCK!!

and make the '05 plank, plumb livable.

oh yea..., that and spending 95% of the time standing up.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I just picked up a 05 300EXC, the stock seat is "okay" I also purchased the tall soft seat from EE and there seem to be a problem with the fit, it move 1/4" side to at the front mount. This is unacceptable, I will be returning the seat and getting another to see if it is an isolated problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom