426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
I was at my local KTM dealership and thought it would be a good idea to get a detailed service manual as opposed to the multi-languaged, non-detailed worthless manual that comes with the bike. When I recently picked up my new 03 300MXC, they informed me that the detailed manuals were on order. I was amazed when the parts guy brought me a document wrapped in plastic that looked to be 30 double sided black and white poorly copied pieces of paper. They weren't even bound. They only gave an overview of the KTM 250-380 engine (top and bottom end).

Here's the kicker.... when I asked him how much it was, he said $41.00 . WHAT A JOKE!!!!

Does anyone have an idea of where I can find a real service manual for this thing? Or better yet, does anyone have a copy they can scan and post?

I am trying to adapt to this whole European flavor of dirt, but the rumors of outstanding quality that this manufacturer brings to the table seem to end at the oversized bars, hydraulic clutch, and o-ring chain IMO.

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
I recently bought a shop manual for a 98 125 KTM. It's a very good book with lots of pictures and detailed instructions.

Sounds to me that you've been ripped off by the dealer.

Ask for the original KTM manual.

david

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The factory manual I got for the 360 I had was VERY well done, crisp clear printing, glossy color cover and was bound. The only one I've seen better is the manual delivered with a Montesa 315R. Sounds like your dealer has been taking lessons from another pumpkin shop that is well known for its questionable practices.

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
KYHU,

I was smart enough not to buy the photocopied piece of #@*&. I can't believe they tried to pawn that thing off on me and they even said that they just came in... like it was some privilage to be graced with with a Kinkos copy version of the engine section of a real manual wrapped in visqueen (sp?)

Patman,

You've got what I want. Where can I get one? .... besides my local dealership.

JL

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Were you looking at the engine parts manual or the engine repair manual? I am thinking you want the latter but were looking at the parts manual. And yes, they're around 40 bucks but the repair manual is definitely worth it.

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
It wasn't the parts manual. That came with the bike... pretty cool actually. I like how it is basically the microfish (sp?) with all the product id's.

The thing they tried to sell me was a weak attempt at a service manual and what I need is the same thing that came with my yz (for free) and I've seen the Honda ones as well that come with the bike... also nice.

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
What you saw was the new Supplement. The older manuals are still the nice ,picture laden and useful documents. I've been told by more than a few dealers they are bummed about the "update" being $41 xerox sheets to add into and replace certain pages of the old manual.
Your dealer has a CD with all the stuff on it. Buy him a Sixer to burn a copy for you.
KTM does not want to diseminate too much information. The theory being that ham fisted idiots will screw up their repairs and DEMAND warranty claims against them. Sad thing is they are probably right!

Top Bottom