Scoott

Jun 1, 2000
Does anyone know about the problems with the spokes on the 2001 KTM's? There seems to be a problem with spokes with an "A" stamped on the head of the spoke. They are a new design that are chrome-plated rather than nickel-plated as in the past. The older, better spoke is supposed to have an asteric stamped on the head. I have been running KTM's since 1990 and usually brag to japanese-bike owners that I don't hardly EVER have to tighten spokes, let alone have them break. This weekend we were trail-riding in the China Hat area near Bend,Or. A young man on a 2001 400SX mentioned that he had been breaking spokes and that he had been told that the new spoke design was the problem. He broke 5 spokes that weekend on the rear wheel, two on the front. He got to looking at my 2001 520 MXC and sure enough, I had two broken spokes!
There were no dings in the rims, no run-flats, and no loose spokes . The spoke snaps off just below the head that anchors in the hub. I was amazed and dismayed, to say the least.
Any info out there?

2001 520 MXC
1998 200 MXC

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I have heard that if you overtighten the spokes more than 4-4 1/2 ft.lbs the spokes are under to much tension and will break. KTM recommends 4ft.lbs of torque on the spokes and can be checked using a spoke wrench torque adapter.

Katoum

Dec 24, 2000
Your not alone, mine and a friend suffered the except same fate. Broken off at the hub on front wheel , they were not overtighned, so it's hard to say what happened. I've never broken a spoke for years, so its a good idea for 520 riders to zap strap the spokes where they cross to minimize damage.

Geoff

Oct 9, 2000
The spoke are breaking at the front hub interface. Too much power? IT is strange that none of my rear spokes have broken, this would be easier to accept!

Geoff

Katoum

Dec 24, 2000
I would say if torque is the issue then KTM is producing bikes with over tight spokes. How many people loosen all the spokes on a new bike then re-torque their spokes. I have since checked for overtight spokes, and have not had any more failures.

Top Bottom