KTM - Suspension - FIX!

KDC

As the "gloating" owner of a new 520 MXC, I did finally had to admit it's one weakness..."soft suspension". The boys in Austria must dial these things in with 120lb test riders!? Anyway, I'm very finicky about who I have work on it. They're not real easy to come come by...and, I admit, I have spent "way to much" time researching who the best person was to fix them. I think I have visited very motorcycle suspension shop in California, from the biggies (Race-tech's) to the one-man shops, and have talked to alot out of state. Most of these shops felt like a motorcycle "McDonalds"...take a number!

Finally, I found a guy that really knew his stuff and was patient enough to give me exactly what I wanted, and even a little exta. He did'nt try to over-sale me, or "gimmick" me to death. Believe me, there is alot of suckers born in performance shops these days.

I got my bike back after just a couple of days and it's perfect! He's a one-man shop, he's very well informed, and very reasonable. He's spent years as a performance suspension and engine builder. I know, I sound like a paid AD..."NOT". I was just so glad to find someone you really knew their stuff and would give it a "personal touch". The shop is called "Schmidt Performnance", David, will answer the phone...[Moderator edit]

I don't know dude,... sounds like an "AD" to me. I would've at least waited until someone asked for a good suspension shop

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

To me it just sound s like a satisfied customer telling 2 freinds....and if they tell 2 freinds and then they tell 2 freinds, and so....word of mouth advertising is how the small guys bet by.

jeb

Originally posted by KDC:

I got my bike back after just a couple of days and it's perfect! He's a one-man shop, he's very well informed, and very reasonable. He's spent years as a performance suspension and engine builder.
Thanks for the post. What did he do for the suspension and what did he charge?

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC
99 KTM 250 EXC
99 KTM 200 EXC
98 KTM 125 EXC
98 KTM 380 MXC (gone)
96 KDX 200

KDC

My motivation for the original post came from watching alot of people as soon as they got their KTM's, without breaking them in or even giving their new bikes a chance, run over to the nearest suspension shop and drop($500 to $900)to have their suspension completely modified.

This, I have found, at least for me, is needless! When you can spend alot less money with the right guy and get the bike dialed in perfectly for you. Alot of the KTM suspension "hysteria" has come from the magazine reports that make it sound alot worse than it really is.

The guy (David) who did the work for me said, that he believes, that for 75% of the guys throwing (Big) money at suspension shops it's mostly a "headgame". That he could do a $400 job that would feel as good as alot of $900 jobs coming off the line.

He's probably right, I know I'm an intermediate to expert (on some days) rider and couldn't tell the diff. You'd have to have alot more sensitive "keyster" than I do to feel it.

I probably am selling this guy, but, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. In this business if you can find a place that will put out a great product and not bend you over, that's worth telling someone about. If you have a problem with that you can kiss my "insensitive" keyster.

In respnse to the pevious post, I don't know all the technical stuff other than he approaches the problem on a very indivdual basis. First, he determines the standard "weight and riding ability", with a variety of other questions , like, type of riding you do and where. Secondly, he fixes the general problems inherent in the PDS shock. Then he moves on to fork srings (if needed) and valving. There was a fare amount of testing and fine-tuning to get it exact.

Again, I don't know all the details. Each bike and rider are different...I was just glad I didn't get the "one size fits all" treatment from him. Call him, hopefull he will do for you what he did for me - (909)943-3955.

KDC,

I really hope you weren't telling me to "kiss your keyster"! If you don't like the replies I give, ignore them.

Plenty of folks here will ask for a good suspension shop,... and when they do, go ahead and tell them which one you think is great.

Jeez, I don't know, do you think Okie would mind if I told everyone here how great my freind's buisness was and then gave a phone#? Better yet, why don't we all promote our own buisnesses here on DRN for free!.

Oh, is that the purpose of this place? I thought we were here to learn about bikes,... hmmmmm

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

Save yourself more money by going to a 7 1/2 or 10 weight fork oil and changing the oil height. These two can make a big difference in fork preformance without going to a shop.

KDC

Originally posted by JCV 220R:
KDC,

I really hope you weren't telling me to "kiss your keyster"! If you don't like the replies I give, ignore them.

Plenty of folks here will ask for a good suspension shop,... and when they do, go ahead and tell them which one you think is great.

Jeez, I don't know, do you think Okie would mind if I told everyone here how great my freind's buisness was and then gave a phone#? Better yet, why don't we all promote our own buisnesses here on DRN for free!.

Oh, is that the purpose of this place? I thought we were here to learn about bikes,... hmmmmm

"I don't know dude",...lots of questions,but,no answers,...hmmmmm? Perhaps if you would spend less energy at sarcasm, you might discover a hidden ability to learn about bikes. Get over it...or try your own advice and "ignore them".

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
KDC we like the idea of communicating complete satisfaction with a company and you've been here for at least 6 months so i don't believe that you're just spamming to the forums. However, your original post was edited by the mods for the phone number and then you write it again in another post. This could be that you didn't see that your post was edited, or a sign of noncompliance with the rules here. I feel it's a touchy issue, like race and religion.

Folks recommend places to get parts and service all the time that don't help Okie pay the bills and that shouldn't be a real problem. We cannot possibly ask everyone to only use the links to the left of this page. To me giving a link to a site is the same as what you did and I didn't really see a problem with it. But then again, I'm not a Mod either. I do believe you and JCV need to shake hands though instead of letting this turn into a newsgroup flame.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

[This message has been edited by yarbonwick (edited 04-03-2001).]

KDC,

Yarbonwick is right, we shouldn't let this turn into a flame BUT, you also shouldn't have told a fellow DRN member to "kiss your keyster" just for offering an opinion! My opinion is that you are going out of your way to give this small suspension shop a free plug. I think that if it was a huge problem, the mods would have deleted your post. Obviously there was a small problem since they did edit your post.

For some reason you found the need to tell us about a great suspension shop when noone was even asking you and you seem to think I'm a jerk for commenting on it. You said youself your rantings sound like an ad,... and they do! And I believe they are.

And lay off the quoting, would ya? I know what I typed. Quoting can be helpful in a thread containing actual information but in a thread like this, it's just plain annoying.

Chill out, relax and spam phone#'s all over another site,... and go ahead and reply to this and try to verbally slay all you want, I really don't care. I'll come back again,... and again - until this thread gets locked. By then the mods will be pissed at one or both of us. Think about that before you tell someone to "kiss your keyster".

L8r

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
Originally posted by KDC:
That he could do a $400 job that would feel as good as alot of $900
I know I'm an intermediate to expert (on some days) rider and couldn't tell the diff.
How do you know what the $900 job "feels" like, you didnt get that one?

[This message has been edited by Shaw520 (edited 04-03-2001).]

jeb

IMO, this type of post should not have been edited. The poster had no apparent personal realationship to the suspension tuner and no profit to be had by posting it. I'd bet the tuner isn't even aware that he was going to put a post on the internet about his work. KDC was only sharing his background work and experience with his fellow KTM riders.

In this post: http://dirtrider.net/ubb2/Forum11/HTML/004888.html
that Ivan started about the rules/FAQ, moderator Gospeedracer said that this kind of post is okay. So why was it edited? The only thing I can see is that it maybe should have been posted to the Product Review forum but it could've been moved there by the mods.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I'd just like to know what rule made putting contact information in this post wrong. I read the FAQ from the link at the top of the page and I didn't see anything about this.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC
99 KTM 250 EXC
99 KTM 200 EXC
98 KTM 125 EXC
98 KTM 380 MXC (gone)
96 KDX 200

Jeb,

Maybe it's wrong, maybe it's not but how do you know that KDC isn't good buddies with the shop owner?

Like I said before, it is my opinion that folks should wait until they're asked before posting phone #'s

------------------
Jay
2001 KTM 250 E/XC

Chicken Wrist Racing
TWIST IT!!!!

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Doing a little search of his profile indicates that when he first got his 520 he was searching for suspension shops, including popular ones. He then found a shop in California. If he were good buddies with the owner, why waist his time asking folks to recommend him a shop? I don't see any hands reaching out.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

jeb

Originally posted by JCV 220R:
Jeb,

Maybe it's wrong, maybe it's not but how do you know that KDC isn't good buddies with the shop owner?

Sorry to quote you but it seemed to work here. I don't know that he isn't good buddies. It seems like most people get the benefit of the doubt on this type of post. Why not KDC?

My opinion is that I appreciate this kind of post and his including the contact information.

I'd still like to see the rules that pretain to this post's alleged wrongness. Maybe I just mis-understand the rules?

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB
01 KTM 400 EXC
99 KTM 250 EXC
99 KTM 200 EXC
98 KTM 125 EXC
98 KTM 380 MXC (gone)
96 KDX 200