OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Short of waiting two weeks for the shop manual (my little one wants to ride NOW!) does anyone know the trick for adjusting the stall speed on a 3 block clutch. I've torn into it but I can't figure out how to add/subtract or rearrange the spring/ washers to adjust it. Everyone says it's adjustable but, nobody seems to know how. All the kids my son ride with engage at a much higher RPM thus more into the power band. I tried KTMtalk.com but, I have a free E-mail address so they wouldn't let me in. HELP!

theroyz71

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I'm no expert but I try. KTM 50's are notorious for their spot welded clutch drums. They are the proverbial weakest link in the chain. Often time, the stress from landing jumps while on the gas is enough to break the welds that attach the gear to the drum. We even did it on our Mini Adventure.

A welded drum is welded around the circumference of the gear and is much stronger than stock. However, the stress has to go somewhere and is often transferred to the primary gear. If you want a bulletproof set up, use a welded drum and a splined primary gear and shaft.

Or you could sell the KTM and get a Cobra. I've never heard of one breaking a clutch drum. It's probably happened but I haven't seen it.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
yeah we've broken one clutch drum in 5 years with my 3 kids on the cobra. Not very common. With the new o6 and the slipper primary gear its never going to happen.
I see the KTM's do it almost weekly. If you add the welded basket to the KTM you will want to remove the primary gear and GREEN loctite the gear to the shaft. but before doing that grease the woodruff key so it does not get loc tited in to the shaft. the green will help a bunch. its about a $400 upgrade for the splined gear/shaft on the KTM.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom