lon caster

May 29, 2001
my boys 65, i followed the wp instructions to set sag on the shock. i convert mm-inches in my head and come up with 2 7/8 in. . before i can get the difference of free sag to rider sag to be 2 7/8 in., the preload nuts bottom out.??? help does anyone know of a book helpful in suspension set up???

lon caster

May 29, 2001
i figure i probably should, but i am extremely used to inches, feet. call it a short coming if you want, can you shed some light on my boy's bike ?

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I can't put a match to your son's bike in a dark room. All I can say is use MM's or try your calculating again. Last ditch keep changing the bike untill he feel's comforatble not to WP's spec.
Ricky like's 120mm I like 96mm everyone like's certain thing's.
CRG

lon caster

May 29, 2001
i thank you very much for the advice. well, i guess its time to buy a metric ruler.i am new to the forum, and have deviously gotten my two boys into dirtbikes.its been 23years since i had one. we now have a ktm65, honda 70, polaris 90, xr400. all brand new! i,m trying to get the ktm tuned for my 8yr old to get used to by spring. he will be racing at the moriartymx.com track. my wife and i figured that the first thing should be suspension. the first thing in suspension is sag. we can't get the sag set right using inches so we will try mm's. we want the bike to do its best for himand i was wondering if anyone knows of a book that deals with setup ? maybe it would be best to send the shock and fork to race tech or someone else?

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
The moderator Jeremy is a Susension expert and work's on all suspension and has info on every last bit. He can go into detail's. Welcome DRN is very helpful I hope you have a good time. when you set the sag to manufacture spec's that is to put you in the ballpark but your son will have to ride and ride untill he is comforatble on the bike. Eric has a book out. He has three book's out if I am right? Not sure if they deal with The 65SX.
CRG

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
If you're not able to set the sag using the english ruler, you're not going to have any better luck with a metric. If the preload nut can't be adjusted to get the proper sag, then your spring is too soft or hard.

lon caster

May 29, 2001
jeremy wilkey

i hope you have read my post. i am a father that is lucky to have 2 little boys. unfortunatly, that also means maintenance on at least 3 bikes.for a while. if you have some helpful info, book(s)i would greatly appreciate laerning more. why does a 2000 xr400 come with a shock that is too heavy for a 190lb rider?

lon caster

May 29, 2001
thank you for the race-tech tip! i probably should start at the begining with suspension. i would still like to talk to jeremy about them books.does any one have any plumbing problems that i might be able to talk them through? i would be happy to reciprocate. thank you all. by the way, my 8yr old is 51 lbs

lon caster

May 29, 2001
i emailed race thch and filled out their form. a response came from Rob Gideon. it said, "they dinot have a shock spring that light, they have something called an emultor for the forks". any experience with one? CRGuy! , parton me for asking, but how do i contact him? (Eric)?

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Could you call me CRG not CRGuy even though it's my Name Thank you.
Ok to contact Eric Go to here he has His phone number on the site. First page Is what it should be on.
CRG

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Caster,
The Race Tech emulators work great! The shock spring is too stiff but a revalve would help out. At that age they grow FAST! The Emulators you can install and tune yourself.

Top Bottom