Mrmedusa

Oct 13, 2007
Hey all...
Just getting back into ridin dirt again (bout 11 years off) and just bought a 95 KTM 250 exc to put around on with my step-son.

Bike was owned before by someone in NH who rode many enduro and hare-scrambles. Has extra cap gas tank....after market pipe and silencer (not sure what kind).

Bike runs great at low-low mid rpm range. Pulls like a tank. BUT has nothing on top. Held wide open...sputters and coughs, like its still cold. Air filter (twin air) was a LITTLE dirty...not bad. Noticed some oil or something comming from front of exhaust...like the gasket was leaking...could this do it? or am I lookin at carb issues. I really dont have much knowledge about re-jetting and stuff. SOmeone else told me mabye power valve stuck open?? or something. Any ideas?
Replaced reeds....ones that were in the bike (carbon fibre) were kinda torn up and there was a gap the width of a credit card on both sides of reed cage. New FMF silencer....other one was kinda trashed. Runs a little better...but still sputters out on top. 175 main jet...air screw 1 1/2 out. Not sure about stock settings. help?

Mrmedusa

Oct 13, 2007
Yup.....the one that was in it was an 8 supposed to be a b9.

Had it runnin today....goin through the woods, low speed rocks and roots and stuff...no prob. Out on a fire road...once again...sputter and hack on top. only at WOT though. Got back...put air screw to 2 out....down the road it started to bog....then it came to life. RAn like a champ...full out no sputter at all.... then....it happened.....started boggin again....run half throttle no prob. Went for Wide open and poof...fouled the plug. Had to push it outa the woods. Area where silencer meets pipe...all oil commin out from there...even sprayed my shock!!. Obvously runnin WAY rich. Could I have a stuck ring or sumpthin? Heres what Im plannin...
I drained the tank, gonna start over...runnin Golden Spectro at 50:1 (runnin 40 now) air screw back to 1 1/2 out. OR should I just take it to the shop...have em check top end (mabye never did break in correctly after was put in) and fix if needed. And jet the carb. 175 main....dunno what pilot is. Needle 3rd from top.
yes? no? mabye?

Mrmedusa

Oct 13, 2007
you are the 2nd person to mention that. Please forgive my dumbness...but....where is it and how do fix it if it is stuck open.?

Top Bottom