JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
I've been strongly leaning toward a 01 KTM 125 SX, but an employee at our local parts shop who is an owner of a 2000 MXC is turning me away. He explained to me that each year KTM has companies bid to do the machining of case and tranny parts. He said the quality of the parts is better but they are not always exact. He's blown one transmission in his 1 year old bike and says he'll never buy another. He told me that it is a very commom problem with KTM's. If there is truth to this or not is what I'd really like to know before I let someone else make up my mind over this otherwise appealing bike.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
What? News to me. My big bad 380 makes a much more power than a 125 and it shifts great. I wouldn't listen to that yahoo.

Cameron

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I've got a Y2K 200 EXC that is a year old. It has never had a transmission problem. I also don't personaly know anyone that has had a problem with a KTM transmission.

ktm_man

Aug 15, 2000
I have owned Kawasaki, Yamaha, Hondas, and KTMs. I am on my fourth KTM and know a lot of guys with KTMs. All four of my KTMs were/are top quality and were very reliable. Have heard about weak ignitions on the 1990 model KTMs but have never heard about tranny problems. I would like to caution you about basing a decision on a single data point and that's why it is a good idea to do what you are doing... check it out and talk to as many folks as you can. A buddy of mine had to replace the tranny on his WR400 and has the same type of story (i.e., don't buy one) but that does not mean that the WR400 is a bad or unreliable bike. None of the bikes are perfect. One thing my dealer told me when I bought my first KTM back in 1995 was "once a KTM owner... always a KTM owner". I though he was full of it, but he has been right so far. Not to say that KTM is for everyone. KTM makes a quality, well-built product that tend to be more on the sturdy side. KTM also has built a lot of loyal customers. The only drawback I see is that some parts cost a little more... but not all parts. My next favorite brand is Honda. I hope this perspective helps.

1994 KTM300 EXC - rode for 4+ years
1998 KTM300 EXC - rode for 2 1/2 years
1995 KTM400 SC - still have (going on 5 yrs)
2001 KTM520 EXC - still have (6 months old)

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
KTM manufacturers all their 125/200/250/300/380 cases in house and has never sublet this to any outside company. My local dealer was telling me that during the dealer meeting last year at the factory, he saw the huge CNC machines that milled the cases for the 2-stroke "big" bikes. He said they start with a raw piece of aluminum and the machine will automatically change the tooling to produce a case halve in about 30 minutes. He said that there are about 10 of these huge machines that run 24-7 to make 2-stroke and 4-stroke cases. It sounded really cool. He said that I should see how they make the new 2001 swingarms (but thats another story)
smile.gif

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
THAT IS A BUNCH OF CRAP, I HAVE OWNED 3 KTM SO FAR AND HAVE NOT HADE ONE PROBLEM WITH ANY OF THEM. I HAD A 99 380 SX WITH ALMOST 300 HOURS ON IT AND IT STILL HAD THE ORIGINAL PISTON AND RINGS. THE BIKE STILL FILLS AS SOLID AS IT DID THE DAY I BOUGHT IT.
BEFORE I SWITHCED TO KTM I OWNED 2 YZ 250's
AFTER 6 MONTHS OF HARD RIDING THEY WERE READY FOR THE JUNK YARD, EVERY THING WAS LOSS AND WORN OUT (KICK STARTER, BRAKE CLEVIS, LINKAGE, BEARINGS, TOP END, GRAPHICS, ETC, ETC,ETC,ETC,ETC,)
DON'T GET ME WRONG, THE JAP. BIKES PERFORMANCE IS TOP NOTCH, BUT THEY JUST NOT LAST VERY LONG. TAKE MY ADVICE AND BUY A KTM, YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.

BTW: IF YOUR KTM DOES BLOW THE TRANSMISSION, KTM WILL PROBALLY FIX IT FOR FREE. JUST ASK MY FRIEND IF YAMAHA REPLACED IS HIS TRANSMISIION AFTER IT LOCKED UP DURING A HARESCRAMBLE RACE. MY OTHER FRIEND BOUGHT HIS NEW 99 RM 250 THE SAME TIME I BOUGHT MY 380, IT HAS A 1/4 OF TIME ON IT AS MY BIKE.
THE BIKE IS ALREADY A CLAPED OUT PIECE OF JUNK.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I just watched a KTM produced video of the KTM factory at work. It was pretty cool. They showed the cases being milled in the huge machines that dskktmusa referred to. I'm not sure about the trannys.

KTM did seem to have a problem with some of the 98/99 KTM 200's. My sister-in-laws 99 200EXC had a new tranny installed under warranty just before she bought it. I know of several other people on the net that had the same thing happen on those 200's. Not a rampant problem but it was there.

Of the 5 98 and up KTM's we own or owned, we've never had any tranny problems and all of them that we still have are still on their orginal clutches.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
they guy who told ya that is on crack, he's like a disgruntled postal worker
smile.gif
I don't like it when people give me that kinda attitude about a bike, and it happens to have a feak incident. I would own a KTM if I didn't hate the local dealer so much (one of those mega dealerships that rip people off) when i got my '01 CR125 the main seal was bad on the bike from new! I still liked the bike, i just didn't like how it was running it's all good now. Trust me get the KTM it's one sweet bike! most people who talk smack about ktm's either don't know jack about KTM or bikes in general. Let's face it nothing is perfect, there's always the chance something or a bad little part makes its way onto a bike and screws everything up. Get the ktm an have the fastest 125 going and one that will last and stay new like a honda if not better.

Joe
'01 CR125R

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by JohnnyMac:
Where did you get the KTM video. I'd love to see the inner workings of their plant.

A KTM dealer I work with included it one of my shipments of parts. I had to return it but I did enjoy watching it. He lurks here so I'll let him post about it if he wants.

------------------
John Brunsgaard - JEB

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive ran a 99/00/01 model with zero tranny problems-ive known one do over 150hrs of top expert use and only use a few cluch plates.If you ever look inside a KTM egine it will leave you in no doubt how well made it is.

Reon

Apr 11, 2000
I remember taking my old '90 125 engine into a local Honda/Suzuki dealer to split the cases so I could check out the bearings and gears (Nothing was wrong but I'm into preventative maintenance and I would sleep better & I was doing a top end job at the time) and the owner and some manager & 2 other guys working there came over to look at this 'different' engine and they were gobsmacked when I told them it was a '90 model ktm engine. They then started talking about how good the katooms were as the owners son raced a cr125 and this from a non-ktm dealer !?

I have heard of some 200's busting gears but not many and I would not loose any sleep over it if I was you you, I know I dont and I own one...

------------------
Regards
Reon

1999 KTM200EXC
1990 KTM125EXC

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
WOW, all this feedback is awsome!!! I'm crossing my fingers right now hoping that JPrelude doesn't get one of the rare ones that does have a problem. no worries mate!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
This is all sweet news to me. I know that tranny failure can happen to any bike at any time regardless of how many hours are on it so I'll take his case as one of those freak incidents. Next step is to sell the 96 RM250. As far as suspension. Do any of you have the bike or know someone who has, and has had it revalved, etc... What's the general opinion on that? BTW, thanks for all of the replies, I've posted questions before on the same bike and received excellent responses. This bike will be my first new MX bike purchase(sick of used bikes) and I want to make the right one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You might want to consider Jeremy Wilkey's MX-Tech for the revalve. I am a VERY happy camper with the work he did on mine. (Besides that he's a nice guy too)
wink.gif

------------------
I ride, therefore I crash
KTM 360EXC

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
I have owned a `96 360SX and a `98 300MXC , I had zero transmission troubles from them. The 360 had every other problem you could think of but not the transmission. The `98 300 was a good reliable bike.

JD

Mar 12, 2000
I did something similiar back in '99. I had a chance for a good deal on a '98 380SX. I was a loyal Yamaha fan, but had always liked the KTM's. I also heard all the negative hype about hubs, trannys, ignitions, etc, but filtered through the BS and bought it anyway. The bike's been trouble free so far, except for a broken kickstarter pawl, which is only a 380 thing, and CAN be avoided through a careful starting procedure. Dealer replaced it under warranty anyway. I'd definitely buy from a dealer that deals in KTM's exclusively (mom/pop shops), not one of these Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Arctic Cat/Polaris/Rupp/Rokon/Bombardier/Husky/Cagiva type dealerships.

Long story short, I would buy another one!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I had a broken shift fork bushing on my 98 125sx. I found it when changing the oil. Did'nt even notice while riding, never missed a gear and never popped out. I would by another KTM

------------------
"Nature Boy"

Garyb

Jul 20, 2000
My 2000 300 mx/c's main transmission shaft snapped in half. Bike was 8 months old at the time. Waited 3 months for new part (none in country, had to be shipped from Austria)
This is the shaft that the clutch hub runs on. Warrantied, no cost.

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
my 360 broke kickstarters (7 of them and one was made from steel), ignitions , kickstart gears , kickstart pawls ,kickstart shafts , return springs and right side center case and nothing was ever covered under warranty

the first kickstarter and shaft broke on the 3rd ride , the 2nd kickstarter lasted 1/2 days riding --- it turned out the ignition was never right to start with and wasn`t firing at the right time , when the ignition finally went and I replaced it the kickstarter problems went away but nothing was ever covered under warranty

I now ride a KX.

quasimoto

Jan 23, 2001
Just my two cents:
I must preface this reply by saying that in this marvelous time, you cannot buy a bad dirtbike. We are blessed with many terrific choices and they are all well designed and reliable. Having said that, I believe you will find the KTM to be a cut above other bikes when it boills down to quality of manufacture and metalurgy. I personally have been on six KTMs since '85 and have had nothing but reliable service on all my bikes during this timeframe. I have put considerable miles on my bikes, both in competition (A Enduro) and trailriding. My '95 ran for five strong years and was still running strong when I sold it last year. I have never had any transmission issues of any kind. Moreover, I have never even had to replace a clutch plate on any of these bikes. Try that on a non-KTM!!

cool.gif
ciao, baby

quasimoto

Jan 23, 2001
Just my two cents:
I must preface this reply by saying that in this marvelous time, you cannot buy a bad dirtbike. We are blessed with many terrific choices and they are all well designed and reliable. Having said that, I believe you will find the KTM to be a cut above other bikes when it boills down to quality of manufacture and metalurgy. I personally have been on six KTMs since '85 and have had nothing but reliable service on all my bikes during this timeframe. I have put considerable miles on my bikes, both in competition (A Enduro) and trailriding. My '95 ran for five strong years and was still running strong when I sold it last year. I have never had any transmission issues of any kind. Moreover, I have never even had to replace a clutch plate on any of these bikes. Try that on a non-KTM!!

cool.gif
ciao, baby

Mike-200

Aug 22, 2000
I cold siezed my 200 motor, but that was a pilot error. This is the only problem i've ever had with my motor, which has seen lots of abuse. The clutches are bulletproof, as the engine and tranny are too. However, I've heard of a couple of newer(I think '00 or '01) 200 transmissions being stuck in a gear and refusing to shift. It happened to my freinds dad in fact. The problem was that some spring came loose on the first day he rode it, and it kept the bike from being able to shift gears. I believe the mechanic at Pro-Dirt Cycles put the spring back on and bent it over a little to keep it in place. Since that ill-fated first day, his 200 has not had a single power-plant related problem. Anyone else heard of this problem? Also, JEB, do you know the specifics of the tranny problems of '98 and '99 tranny problem that you mentioned. Keep fresh oil in the bike, and they're as tough if not tougher than any other bike out there.

------------------
'98 ktm 200exc

Top Bottom