KTM Triple Clamps and Handguards?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by CR Swade
I'll send you the info on what to get .

I would appreciate that!  I can tell mine is running a little lean as it is.

B

biglou

I just put the JD needle, recommended jets in the 426 last night. Riding Saturday at Merwin with ride report to follow. Al put the kit in his 03CRF450 and he said the difference is incredible. JD knows his stuff.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Well crap, I checked the remaining needles I had from the JD kit for the SS Yamabarge, as well as the others from the Katoom kit...no numbers. Sorry Corey. The kit is WELL worth the dinero :thumb:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by CR Swade
no numbers.

I knew you couldn't give me needle numbers.  I was hoping for jet sizes.  But Randy has me hooked up. :thumb:

Hevster1

May 2, 2000
I have an e rider upper clamp complete with the BB mounts for sale. stock offset. 100.00 takes it. Fits 43 and 48 usd ktms.
hevster1@yahoo.com

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Corey:

First, the Erider clamps are the bomb in my opinion. Very stout and a great job on annodizing!! None of the black has come off mine in over 6 months of riding. The handguard mounts are very nice on them and they are reversible...so, they were installed with my stock bars (maguras) and I just reversed them for the cut down bars. (See note below on KTM cutdown bars)

I think the 18MM offset is worth the money but the offer for 100 bucks for the standard offset clamp with mounts is a great deal for you. I really don't think you would be disappointed with the quality and the whole handguard mount system on it. They fit fantastic for the Cycra pro bends which I also think are the best guards out there. If you order the Cycras, call them direct and they will cut you a good deal since you won't need the mounts. I got the guards with 2 sets of flags delivered for $100 from them.

Okay, now on the jetting: I talked to JD about the jetting for the 400/450 hybrid. He said you only need to run the 520/525 settings instead and it works great. Did you like the jetting on mine at DW? Thats what it was running. They are custom needles so they do not have any lettering on them.

Good Luck!

Christopher

(Oh yeah, the cut down bars: Instead of buying Maguras and cutting them down, buy the KTM Jr bars instead. Exact same taper as stock but they are already cut down. I love em!) :yeehaw:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for all the info!  I'm gonna have to pass on the top clamp.  That's a good price, but I'm spending too much money on this bike as it is.

I went riding again yesterday and I hate to say it, but.........I'm disappointed with the KTM. :(   I realize the suspension has a lot to do with it (it's beating me to death), but I'm disappointed with the engine too.  It has gobbs of torque but the rpm range is so small where it has that torque.  If I was racing, it would be good, because the delivery is so smooth, but I like to play around.  Any of you guys that have ridden with me know that I like to wheelie and roost.  With the KTM, I can't do that as easily as with my 426.  I have to have the rpms just right, the perfect gear, and clutch it do wheelie like I want or to roost like I want.  With the 426 it didn't matter what gear...what rpm...if you wanted to wheelie you cracked the throttle.  If you wanted to roost, you just cranked on the throttle.  What I'm getting to is this:  I have a 2003 CRF450 sitting in my garage that will do all the things I want it to.  And I have absolutely DIRT in the CRF as far as money goes.  We're riding this Friday, after Turkey Day, and I'm going to ride the CRF.  If I'm pleased with it....I'll probably have a KTM for sale. :whiner:  I really think my test ride on Chris's bike in Oklahoma gave me some false impressions of the 450.  Our riding conditions out here are completely different than at Stillwater.  At Stillwater there were no hills to power up, to logs or root sections to wheelie over, and the trails are no where near as fast as our trails we have here.

OK, I had to get that off my chest!  I know alot of you guys were really wanting me to get this KTM (for some reason??), and I was wanting it to work out, but I don't know that it is the bike for me.  I know I'm in for some razzing and encouragement to keep the KTM so go ahead and let it loose.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
I'm curious as to what gearing you are running...I run 13-52 and my bike will wheelie or throw roost anytime, anywhere.

I don't get it...

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
13/52 gearing.  I knew the 450 KTM wouldn't have the "snap" of a 426 or CRF450.  I guess I miss that kind of power more than I thought I would.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by CAL
13/52 gearing.  I knew the 450 KTM wouldn't have the "snap" of a 426 or CRF450.    

There is absolutly no reason why it should'nt have,.......like I said before,.........jetting.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I have jets and a needle on the way.  I'll drop them in and see what it does...but it's got a long way to go.  I rode both bikes back to back this afternoon.  The KTM has low end grunt and is very smooth about its power delivery and has terrible throttle response.  The CRF has violent power delivery (which I like) pulls hard from right off idle to extremely high revs and the throttle response is just like a 2 stroke (lightning fast).  The CRF is also lighter.  I'm not trying to run down KTM...I wish I liked the KTM better...I just bought the thing for crying out loud!!!  But as it stands right now, the CRF suits me much better.  I had more fun on the CRF today playing around on the farm than I did on the KTM all day yesterday at Turkey Bay.  The KTM really reminds me of my DRZ400....good power, but tame.  Time will tell.  I'm going to keep riding both of them and see.  Friday will be a big test day for the CRF.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Hey Corey...which kit didja get (there are two kits)? Something sounds goofy as my SX kit flat gets nasty...actually runs harder than Jason's 426. Maybe if you removed that rag from the airbox you would get some throttle response...

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Shaw520
Ya might want to take the for sale sign off the CRF :)

Probably so.

Wade, I'm putting in a 45 pilot, 168 main, and a needle very similar to the JD needle.  I'll see what it does, but I'm telling ya...it's got a long way to go.  No where near the explosiveness of my 426 or the CRF.  From what I remember, Chris's bike definately ran better than mine, but I still don't think it hit like the CRF.  Mine runs like all of the other KTMs I've ridden.  Just seems like it runs flat.  Hits right off idle and then falls off.  At high rpms it honestly feels like a TTR 125.  Revs and makes noise, but doesn't go anywhere.  But the CRF...you better be hanging on!  I'd much rather ride with precise throttle control, than to be really cranking on a bike.

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
Sometimes slower is faster. I know going from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke you feel like you're going slow, but in reality you're not. I know sometimes I can ride a 4-stroke faster through the same course, but I like the instant burst I get with the 2-stroke even though it usually is wheel spinning, side way, type riding that usually takes more energy and really doesn't get you from point A to B any faster. But it sure is fun!

Take both bikes Friday and take turns riding a loop and see which one your faster on. You may be suprised.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Yamahauler
Sometimes slower is faster..... but I like the instant burst I get with the 2-stroke even though it usually is wheel spinning, side way, type riding that usually takes more energy and really doesn't get you from point A to B any faster. But it sure is fun!

That's my point!  If I was racing, then I'd probably be better off with the KTM.  It's much smoother.  But I don't race.  I don't need to be smooth.  I don't care how fast I am...I just wanna have fun!  I like the wheel spinning, pin your ears back, hanging on for dear life type power.  Right now, the KTM is NOT providing that.

And besides...you saw how slow I was riding Saturday.  I was not having fun!

When Bundy came and rode with us last week, Eddie had warned him about me roosting and playing around so much.  At the end of the day, Bundy and even my dad commented that I wasn't roosting and wheelying like normal.  That's because I couldn't get the KTM to do those things.

Yamahauler

Jun 9, 1999
I think I see your problem now. You rode a KTM at DW and you were faster on it, but not necessarily having more fun. I think you need a Husaberg.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Yamahauler
I think I see your problem now. You rode a KTM at DW and you were faster on it, but not necessarily having more fun. I think you need a Husaberg.

Pretty much.  The trails at DW were single track rails.  No room to play on.  Nothing to jump, climb, or wheelie over.  No 60 foot vertical hills to climb with only 3 feet of running room.  You get the point.  At DW, going fast was the fun part.  And I was definately faster on Chris's KTM.

Husaberg...ya right!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
My point earlier was my bike has tons more hit than Christopher's bike. It runs totally different and feels completely different. It revs fast and hits hard. Is this the EXC kit from Thumper Racing or the SX kit from ThumperRacing? SX kit has a shorter stroke w/ big piston vs long stroke kit EXC.

To put it in perspective, the 02 will flat run and hide from the WR450, good running but a pig...and probably run side/side w/ Al's CRF until the upper gears of the KTM say bye-bye.

Something sounds goofy w/ the setup

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
It's not the long stroke kit, because he didn't change the rod or crank.  It was just an overbore.  It's the EXACT same thing he did to Chris's bike.  I thought there was only one 450 kit.  Big piston, short stroke.  That's why they rev so much quicker than the new 450s (smaller bore, longer stroke).  It doesn't run anything like what you've described.  Travis even told me that my bike would out pull Chris's bike and should rev quicker because of the lighter flywheel.

I'll let dad and Brent ride the KTM and CRF back to back Friday and see what they think.  There is no comparison in my opinion.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I think you've got the EXC kit. The SX kit actually uses a shorter stroke kit than the EXC kit...if I remeber it correctly. I'm 99% sure that is how it works...EXC kit uses existing rod. I am 100% sure the SX kit is totally different than the EXC kit in terms of delivery (plus from what I understand most of the kits sold are the EXC kits...althought the TR owner runs an SX kit). This is the word from the head of TR himself.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Well, after looking @ the website, maybe it is the piston difference only. You really ought to call him direct @ (903) 938-3340 and see what you've got. I know I've got the MX/SX setup in mine and it is quick revving (it's the setup most off-road guys DON'T get).

Top Bottom