KTM Triple Clamps and Handguards?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
OK, mine is the 94mm MX kit.  New replated cylinder, new 94mm piston, and gaskets.  That's what I bought.  And as far as I know, I'm running the stock 400SX jetting.  Not sure what Bundy did to it???

Oh yeah...and I bought the new balanced cam gear.  I could have put the the 525 cam in for more over rev but I didn't.  Kind of wish I would have now.

Last edited:

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Okay guys...I just talked to Gary at TR.

Both kits are short stroke...the only long stroke option is using a 520 engine and making it a 450. That option, long stroke, is how the 450's from KTM are now shipping (2003 and 2004) and he believes they are inferior...I would tend to agree fromt he 450's I have ridden.

The 400/450 kits are a short stroke period. The two kits Gary sells are 94mm piston (447cc) and 95mm piston (453cc). The 95mm piston is what I have and it is typically installed on the trail bikes according to Gary. The 94mm is typically installed on the MX bikes. My understanding from Gary is, it will rev a bit faster but theres no reason why it would hit harder.

I have not ridden Wade's bike yet but it sounds as if it definitely does something differently than my bike...I just don't understand what it is. I know my mixture screw is messed up so my throttle response kind of sucks but I don't understand what else could be different between mine and Wade's bike. Also, I have not ridden your bike Corey but it sounds as if it is a bit groggier than mine too. Even with my big butt on the bike it will wheelie about anywhere or throw some serious roost.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
hmmm, didn't know you had the 95mm kit.  Shouldn't make very much difference though.  I wish you guys could ride mine.  Don't get me wrong, it's not a total dog.  But there is NO comparison to the power of the CRF.  Period!

Maybe jetting will cure it, but I'll be just absolutely blown away if jetting makes that much of a difference.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Your jetting sounds right; I've never had to tear into these RFS engines yet (the 525 only had 15 hours on it and this 450 has just a handful since it's rebuild) but could cam timing or ignition timing be wrong? I may be asking a really stoopid question, but for it to run that flat w/ basically the same set-up as mine (less Power Now and JD) I've got to wonder about the timing. I'm grasping at straws here as I am not an expert on the RFS yet-I just like racin' em.

Hmmm...to quote the immortal Joe Pesci, "I guess the f-ing ting' is broken."

I'm tellin' you, y'all gots a rag in the airbox.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Nah...I checked the airbox (seriously).

I have a 45 pilot and 168 main jet ordered, but I just called TR.  They recommended a 50 pilot and 180 main!!!  Guess I better call MXsouth back and tell them to send me some more jets...

I don't think it could be timing.  Travis really knows what he is doing.  And it starts first kick and runs smoothly.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
I'm with Wade...something is amiss. Why don't you give travis a call about it? He is very helpful and since he did the work, might be worth your time.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Hey Corey...do you still have any of your Yamaha needles? The OBELN is a popular Yammie needle that I ran in my 525. A 50 pilot is rather optimistic, but hey what the heck. I'd keep the 45 on the way and have a 48 handy, but 50??? Actually JD has this thing figured out and it is a pretty dramatic difference. The 525 ran hard w/ the OBELN, ran stupid hard w/ the JD setup and couldn't get out of its own way for starving w/ the stock (re ridiculously lean) brass.

Matter of fact, you should be running the jetting specs for the 520 in that fo-fiddy.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I have an OBELN needle sitting right beside me as I type...as well as some EE Magura handguard mounts.  Thanks Randy!!!!!!!! :)

I'm curious to see what jetting is in the bike, right now.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'm leaving work.  I'm going to try to get that needle slapped in and see what it does.  I have to be somewhere at 6:00, so I may not get to.....

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, give it a try, depending on Bundy's elevation it just may be too dang lean.

Fuel supply is good right, no pinches in the fuel line, clogged fuel filter/petcock etc.?

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by CAL
Mine runs like all of the other KTMs I've ridden.  Just seems like it runs flat.  Hits right off idle and then falls off.  At high rpms it honestly feels like a TTR 125.  Revs and makes noise, but doesn't go anywhere

There is definately something wrong,.....what you're describing is completly the opposite of the way my SX runs. And although the OBELN needle may be better than what you have, (I dont know what's in there now),  more than likely it will not produce the hit you are looking for. The 'D' series will produce more topend hit.

Try to contact JD on ktm talk.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I tried to post this last night, but had computer problems.

OK, I put the OBELN needle in and I can tell by reving it that it has better throttle response. I rode it around the driveway, but it was too dark to get very far from the house. I could just barely hit second gear. It "seems" like it runs better through the mid range. But it was 30 degrees outside, so the cool air could affect it.

Here is the jetting that was/is in the bike:
48 pilot, 175 main, OBDTM needle in middle clip, 1.5 turns out on fuel screw
Now I have the same except the OBELN needle in the middle clip.

I also talked with Travis. My bike has the 95mm (453cc)kit. But it's an SX so the flywheel is 12oz. lighter than Wade's and Chris's so it should rev/respond quicker. Travis said it is has to be jetting. He also said the KTM will never "hit" like the CRF. Not that it won't pull as hard or even out pull a CRF, it just won't be as violent of a hit. Another thing he questioned was exhaust. I have the stock SX exhaust...with a Pro Moto Billet S/A. Travis said to yank it out! He doesn't like screen type arrestors. I had wondered about it, but figured it was fine. I pulled it out and it DEFINATELY has better throttle response. It has a bog when you wack the throttle from idle, but I think that can be worked out. I have the 45 pilot and 168 main jets coming. Travis said to try the main jet first and see what it does. Then try the pilot if I think it needs it. He thinks the 48/175 should be close, but is probably rich. One thing that makes him think it is rich is: the bike will not start with the choke on. It starts great when cold without the choke and if you pull the choke it kills the engine. He offered to send me a JD kit for free, but I told him to wait and let me see what this setup does first. He likes the OBELN needle better than the JD needle for his 520. And I can't remember what jetting he is running in his 520, but it was much leaner than my 48/175 that is in it now. He is at sea level...I'm at 350 feet, so there basically isn't any difference in conditions.

So we're getting closer....

Now, a complete change of subject: Can fork springs be changed without having to drain/change the fluid? The stock springs are really close to what I need, and I'd like to get them in the bike before Friday's ride, but I don't want to have to change the fluid. Bundy's springs are throwing me all over the place. You should see how high I can launch, by preloading the susp. and hitting a root!!! We're talking major air!

Last edited:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by CAL
Can fork springs be changed without having to drain/change the fluid? 

Yes, the springs can be changed w/o draining fluid, just pull the springs out slowly as to not loose too much fluid. Fluid height should be rechecked before assembly. (aprox 110 - 120mm from top, read the manual)

Sounds like your on the right track to getting er running like she should. :thumb:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks Greg.  I'm pretty sure that the Pro Moto spark arrestor was really choking it down.  The screen even had packing wrapped around it for some reason???  That was reducing the diameter of the endcap to about 1" instead of the normal 2" or so.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Cal,

Sorry to here about your jetting probs. I just rode it stock, infact I have always just rode my bikes as stock as possible, just a quirk I have I guess.
But you can most diffenitly change your springs with out dissasimbling the forks. you can even leave them on the bike. Did you get those parts I sent you yet? By changing out those base vlaves and running that ebay kit for the valving, you will hopefully get rid of the deflection problem with the forks.

By the way, I tried out Kiwi`s bike this weekend, and he has a NOST fork kit, it was great. As good as my Honda, and he had a PDS30 RaceTech rear spring and it controlrd the bottoming. I was most impressed with his setup. Makes me wonder about this KTM thing again! :scream:

Bundy

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
No problem, Bundy.  The way you ride, you're never off the main jet or under 10,000 rpms long enough to notice anything about the jetting! :scream:  I don't like to tinker and tweak either, but when I know something is wrong, I have to fix it.  I didn't touch the 426 and it ran perfect. 

I put the stock rear spring on last night.  Whoa what a difference!  I haven't ridden it yet, just sat on it.  I'm going to swap fork springs tomorrow, between feeding frenzies.  I'm curious to see how the Pro Action setup works with the softer springs.  What is a "NOST" kit?

I haven't received anything yet.  Thanks for sending them!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
OH YEAH BABY!!!  The KTM is a rippin and snortin now!  The OBELN needle spread the power band up into the midrange and even a little overrev.  The spark arrestor was REALLY choking it down.  That's why the bike had so much power off idle, and nothing else.  But she is screamin now!  Throttle response is great, it still has great low rpm power, but now it pulls hard through midrange, and pulls pretty good at high rpm.  Brent even commented on how much I was roosting!  Ahhh, it's good be roosting and wheelying again...

Now I just have to get my  shock to Fabtech and get the kit for my forks.  The spring rate is better, but the Pro Action valving is rigid.  Not terrible, but nothing like my W.E.R. susp. on my 426.

Anyone want to buy a CRF?  :thumb:

Oh yeah...it's nice to ride with handguards again!  The chunk out of my finger from last week is finally starting to heal.  Thanks for the mounts and needle Randy!!!!! :)

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Cal,..Good to see ya gettin 'er straighten out.. :thumb:  Not sure if your trying to keep the db's down or what the purpose of the after market pipe, but not too many aftermarket pipes can top the performance of the stock SX. Try that on if you you still have it. It's not offensively loud either like the stock YZF pipe.

These KTM's may take a bit more tweeking to meet ones personal preference. And the suspension is no exception, but once you get it set-up for you, they'll be no looking back! :aj:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Greg, it has the stock SX exhaust.  It has a Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor fitted to the endcap.  The screen is removable.  So I pulled out the screen.  It has more bark to it, but like you said...not obnoxious like the YZFs and CRFs.

:)

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Corey,

Glad you got the RFS running the way you like it.

You'll really love the bike once you get the suspension dialed in.

:yeehaw:

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Too bad you weren't coming to White Rock next week, you could ride mine w/ the EE setup. It is a totally amazing set-up. Anyway, glad the OBELN worked, it did wonders on the 5-2-5. I knew there was something goofy goin' on...

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Eddie, it wasn't plugged with carbon.  It did have packing wrapped around it for some reason.  It had reduced the diameter down to less than 1".  I may try sticking it back in, but I'm pleased with it now...and I haven't started any forest fires yet. :flame:

Top Bottom