KTM Triple Clamps and Handguards?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'm new to this pumpkin stuff so bear with me.  I just got a 450 SX.  I went to mount up some alum. handguards using my existing mounts for Pro Taper bars.  No worky.  I would love to use the triple clamp mounts like I had on my 426, but I don't see how that's possible with the stock clamps.  I have the stock Magura bars on the bike also.  What do most of you guys run?  Is a mount made for Magura bars the only option I have?

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
hey corey the best setup that ive seen was those little brackets that bolt handguards to the triple clamp. renthal fat bars enduro bend since those maguras aren't comfy. ee bark busters I hope.
Good luck with the pumpkin how about u give me a little report on the beast. I cant wait to tell my gas gas it gets to eat some more pumpkin.
can you hurry so we can feed my barker

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by RAHRAH
hey corey the best setup that ive seen was those little brackets that bolt handguards to the triple clamp.

That's what I had on my 426, but the stock KTM clamps wrap around the back of the fork and the bolts are at an angle.  There is no way to mount the hanguards to the triple clamps like that.

I was running Moose "Burelson" bend on my 426 and liked them, but these Magura's feel fine, I just can't get the handguards mounted.

The GG will get plenty of Pumpkin Pie!!!

It's alot different from the 426.  It's going to take some getting used to.  It has MAJOR low rpm torque, but ZERO high rpm power.  I'll have to adjust my riding style.  I love the close ratio six speed!  The suspension is too stiff.  It's used to hauling Bundy's big butt around. ;)   I thought that it might be so used to going FAST with Bundy that it would haul me around...but nah.  I'm still as slow as ever.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I have always used the stock Maguras cut down, with the EE handguard mounts. They have a taper cut to em, so be sure to not mount them backwards.

On this 02' it has the Emig 18mm clamps w/ the handguard mounts on the clamp-I like these much better as it lets you really cut the bars down (perfect for a short you-know-what like me).

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I ended up with the Emig clamp that has the handguard mounts. Not bad, but unless you buy the Emig hand guards you'll have to do a lot of bending and twisting to the handguards.

You might also check out KtmTalk.com. There's a recent thread on some custom handguard mounts that a couple guys have been working on. It's a special handlebar top clamp that has mounts for the hand guards. If there's enough interest, maybe they'll start making them available for sale.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by CR Swade
... They have a taper cut to em, so be sure to not mount them backwards.
Is this statement referring to the handlebars, or the EE barkbusters? :think:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
On my 426, I had to do major reworking of the guards to fit the triple clamp mounts, but it was worth it.  They were rock solid!  I may have to check out the bar clamp idea on KTMtalk.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by Smit-Dog

Forgive me, that would be the EE mounts. I guess you could mount the bars backwards, if you're into that sort of thing...not that there is anything wrong with that :confused:

I have EE guards, and they mount up nicely w/ the Emig clamps...I must of gotten lucky.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KTMCRSwade - Please 'splain how you can mount EE BBs backwards. I have Moose BBs (made by EE), and they are bi-mountable (hmmm - sounds kinda hot...).

Or perhaps the reason I'm hitting trees is that my BB are on *backwards*... :think:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by Smit-Dog

Smit-Dog,

I think CR Swade is talking about the handguard(s) inner bar clamps.You can put them on wrong since the bar clamps are tapered.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Corey,

The Emig set is a very nice setup. You could also go with just the top 20 mm triple clamp from Scotts,Brp,or
THIS one from E-rider. All of the clamps that I mentioned have the pinch bolts mounted in the front.

For something a bit different check out theFastway Right Fit System at MX South.

Are you looking to get out cheap??? I have a set of EE-Magura bar clamps you can have. :thumb:

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Corey,
Wade Summers, Scott Summers' dad, machines clamp mount guards.
Last time I was at his shop he was working on some for KTM's.

I can call him today and see if he has them ready for market yet. If he does, they will be exactly what you are looking for.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Cal, I know the overbore kit may have changed the power curve on your machine, but if topend power is what you desire then talk to JD, you can totally change the delivery of power through jetting. My bike with stock jetting, had great bottomend, good mid, and less than desirable topend delivery. After re-jetting, I now have the same mid, with an almost 2stroke like hit when it comes into the topend, with alot more power in the upper end of the curve. I love it!

If that is what you desire of course.. :)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Corey, Shaw is dead on with the JD jetting. You'd probably want to make sure he knows you have the 400 with the 450 kit to make sure you get the right jets though. keep in mind that you are most likely running stock 400 jetting in that 450 too.

I think Paddy has the triple clamp bar mounts on his 450EXC. I can give you his number if you want.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Tennessee Thumper
Are you looking to get out cheap??? I have a set of EE-Magura bar clamps you can have. :thumb:

Well, YEAH!  I was planning on ordering some mounts for Magura bars today.

That will make 2 great deals you've cut me on handguard mounts! :)

I'll give you something for them.  I'll Paypal you or mail you $$.

I don't want my handguards mounted to my triple clamps bad enough to buy new triple clamps.  Darby is a machinist.  Maybe we can come up with something.

Jay, let me know what you find out about the Summers mounts.

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by MrLuckey
Corey, Shaw is dead on with the JD jetting.

I've heard alot about the JD jetting.  What kind of $$ are we talking about?  Anyone have a link or phone #?

Eddie, I have Paddy's #.  I may give him a call.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
How do I find out what kit to order for a 400 punched to a 450?

Do I just order a kit for a 450/525?

$66 seems steep for some jets and needles.  Not sure I can shell out that kind of money until after I get my suspension revalved.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Cal,

I will need your address.I thought I had it in my address book. :confused:

You don't owe me anything for them.They've been sitting in a cabinet collecting dust for over a year.

Check your PM

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Corey, the kit that is in mine is for the 520. I'll send you the info on what to get so you don't have to drop $70.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The needles have all the indentifying information ground/polished off of them. I don't know how you would identify them. He puts a blue dot on one and a red dot on the other with a chart telling when to use each needle and when to move the clip positions.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I thought his needles were custom made.  Meaning no standard markings.

Randy has a needle that he is going to send me.  I might end up getting a JD kit, but I doubt it.  I just can't get myself to spend $70 on jetting.

Top Bottom