Greek kattom

Jul 24, 2001
I would like some information on how I can make my 02 520 EXC take better tight turns!
My suspension settup is standard as it comes on the manual.The problem is that in tight turns the frond tire keeps washing away.I dont think it is because of the tire and I would like to hear your comments on how I can make it work better for me!
My height is 1.82cm and my weight 100 Kgr.I ride hard and now I am getting ready for my first ever race!!
Thank's for the help guys!
Hi from Greece.

Keep it wide open.;):ugg:

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Do you have the correct tire and pressure. If it's the stock tire it may not be up to the S-12 standards.
But remember one thing - I know nothing.

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
greek kattom, make sure the fork springs are correct for your weight. Too make it turn sharper, you can raise the forks up in the triple clamps. Try a little at a time and see how you like it. The more you raise the forks, though you can get headshake at higher speeds, so you might want to check out getting a steering damper.

I have just done this to my bike (steering damper/raise forks) and will test it out for the first time on Saturday. Last week I rode a guy's 200EXC set up like this and boy it turned on a dime. We have v-e-r-y tight woods here and I thought it worked just fine, the damper made it stable in the high speed sand whoops.
Hope this helps.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Turning KTM's

The stock Bridgestones leave a lot to be desired unless you are riding in rocks. Changing the front to something more aggressive! Also, once you get the bike broken in (and spend more time on it) you'll likely realize that the bike turns MUCH better when you are on the throttle. And I mean ON the throttle! ;)

yota

Oct 9, 2001
On my 2 stroke I cut the subframe, installed 18mm offset clamps and moved the rear wheel as far back as it would go and it turns on a dime now. A lot of 520 guys went to 16mm offset clamps.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
there is another related thread going also. i agree with shaw & others who have posted on that 1 & this 1; do the easy stuff like get better tires, but the main reason for complaints about ktm handling i think is due to suspension setup, esp. in the back. alot of guys run them too soft in the back, which makes the front ride hi, costing bite in corners.

Greek kattom

Jul 24, 2001
Thanks a lot for your help!
As for the tires we do ride on rocks!!!!
A friend of mine has a OHLINS steering dumber and it works just fine.I leave it as an option but first I wiil try lowering the triple clamps a bit.
Do you know a more aggresive rocks tire that can help?
I' am ready to bolt on a DEP exhaust to the bike, I believe it can help in the upper RPM.

Ready for race day:aj:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Try feathering the front brake ever so slightly through the turns. It helps to keep the front tracked.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I installed a scotts stabilizer and raised the forks in the clamps. It turns much better now and no headshake. A lot of people told me that my bike will not headshake if the suspension is setup correct but they weren't KTM riders. Now my bike setup is comfortable and handles good for me and that is what matters, right?

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
What the Heck. Let me say this

250EXXC is simular to 300EXC

1.Get 18mm offset tripple clamps. Will help with quickness and tighter turning radius
2. Learn to ride. Thats what I am doing. If you really lean bike over it will turn on a dime
3. Lowering forks in tripple clamp (This means they stick higher up from the top of clamps and the length of forks is shorter). Move 5mm at a time. I suggest only 5mm
4. A stiffer rear spring. Get the one for your weight. Soft spring will sag too much and you will be driving a Harley. Get race sag around 100mm

Bottom Line. As you ride more it gets easier. You learn to make it work. Practice, Practice and Practice. I started to lean my bike way over but I keep body upright. Like skiing. Sometimes I lean with bike, not often though.

I love Dunlop 756 for sand, rocks, hard pack, pavement, everything.

Good Luck

Top Bottom