stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Hi guys,

I've decided my new bike is likely going to be the KTM125sx (no particular reason, just thought it would be fun to be different). Testing one isn't an option, I'm to far away from the dealer to just look, and don't know anybody with one, so I'm looking for advice.

The problem I have with it is the specs on seat height and ground clearance.

The 2002 KTM125sx lists the seat height and ground clearnace as 36.4" and 15.2"

The 2002 YZ125 shows up with
39" and 15.7"

Given that they mostly share the same ground clearance, the KTM has to be almost 3" shorter from the pegs to the top of the seat... That sounds like a recipe for a cramped riding style, especially as I'll be coming from the YZ in the first place.

Anybody notice this or have any comments? I guess I want the KTM, but am understandably concerned.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would not go on the stats too much-if anything the YZ feels smaller to ride than the sx.Jamie Dobb isnt small and has done fairly well on his:p

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Yea, but these aren't subjective things like where the torque curve hits, but the seat height in relation to the pegs cramping or not cramping the rider.

Any YZ owners out there that have any information?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Exactlly how the measurment is made from manufacturer to manufacturer can vary. Did they measure at highest preload, lowest preload or somewhere in between. I don't know about the KTM, but my 99 Husqvarna 125, another Euro bike, lists the seat height at 36.5 in. But when I measured it my self it was 38.4 in and is taller then the neighbor's 96 RM250.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
According to KTM, seat height is measured, 'un-laden'. Does that mean that it's where the seat height rests as the bike sits static on the showroom floor? Or does it mean it's where the top of the seat is when the tires are on the floor and the suspension is comepletely extended or 'un-laden'? I tend to believe it's the first one.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
un-laden should mean on the ground with no rider. Which is how I measured my bike and got 2 inches taller than the manufacturer got. If I lifted my suspension to its fully extended position, my bike would measure over 39 inches.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
That's the real problem with the whole thing as it compares to a Yamaha, for example.

If the seat height was low, the ground clearance should also be low. That's not the case, both are 15" in ground clearance, but the KTM shows a 3" difference in seat height.

Perplexing.

I wonder if any KTM 125 riders here could measure straight up from the pegs to the top of the seat and come up with a number. Then the same with the Yam', then you'd have some interesting information.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I will qualify my previous statement by saying i owned a 2001 KTM 125sx and rode a friends 2001YZ a fair bit and the 125sx was less cramped.Like i said numbers are meaningless:silly:

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
A yz 125 is about the crampddest ride you can get. The ktm is not as bad and is taller overall. Listen to Marcus, quit sweating the details and go buy the fastest 125 on the planet.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Wow, based on the last 2 posts, sounds like you two guys know what's going on. Maybe a guy should just disregard the specs. Which seems odd though, those are the only things really cast in stone. I suppose it's all in how they are measured.

Although, the closer to the pegs the seat is, the more cramped it HAS TO feel. I need to measure one up and get back and let all of us know.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Called my KTM dealer. The 125sx is 22" from the peg to the top of the seat.

Anybody got a YZ125 we can measure? I sold mine last week. :)

From the top of foot peg, straight up and then eyeballing accross the top of the seat.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Well, I got ahold of the guy with my YZ. he said that the YZ is 20.5" from the top of the seat to the top of the pegs. The KTM is 22" so there you go, in theory, the KTM should be less cramped.

You know those are much better numbers to throw around than some they do. Short guys usually struggle on the tall bikes, be nice to know how you're gonna fit.

Based on that information, looks like a KTM125sx for me. =0) Gotta prep the wife for the good news. :D

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I own a yz125 and a 125sx, and you can't trust what the book says.

A 125sx is a motocross bike, meaning that the only time you should actually be seated is when you have your crotch swallowing the gas cap and your leg stuck out. Most other times you will be standing if you use this bike as designed.

If you want a comfortable, cushy ride the sx is not your best choice.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Jaybird,

I don't race as much as I piddle around with the boys. Like race time 2% piddle time 98%.

Can the KTM be set up a bit softer? or is that out of the question based on the design?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
If you want something softer, get the 125EXC, it is the same frame and engine, slightly different tuning on the suspension. First gear is lower for going slow, 2nd -3rd and 4th are the same as the SX 5th is a little higher, and 6th is a fair amount higher for top speed. Has a head light in case you don't make it back before dark, and it weighs all of like 10lbs more.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
HiG4s,

It looks like they don't make the 125exc for 2002, was in 2001 though and it was 211 pounds. 202 pounds on the 125sx.

Interesting idea though.

The gearing on the 125exc shows a final of 13:52. and the 125sx as 13:72 so there are some differences there.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I didn't realise it till I read your post, but I think you are correct...only 125's I see are the sx's this year. I'll be dipped.

Hmmmm....If you want an 02 for sure, then there are some aftermarket seat foams that are either taller or softer, up to your pref.

Maybe look at getting the 01 exc. I butcher my seat down, so comfy isn't an option on my bike, but it has to be the best 125 I've been on hands down.
It likes to go fast. I added 2 teeth to the stock read.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
cp380sx,
Are you serious about the $80 price? That would truly be a bargain. Can you post the part number? I'd order it as a spare!

Stormer94,
I ride an '01 125SX in harescrambles and GNCC races as well as an occasional MX and alot of playriding. You can defenitely set it up softer. If you are on the short side, cut the subframe. It makes a huge difference. Actually, they say its a worthwhile mod even if you are tall. It doesn't affect the seat height at the "pocket", just the back of the seat. You may be able to buy softer seat foam as the stock stuff was not meant to be comfortable! I've also heard of people drilling 1/2" diameter holes in the foam to soften it up. sounds like a cheap alternative to explore first. Beyond the comfort factor, the bike is very reliable and increadibly easy to maintain. It is also unbelievably powerfull for a 125. It amaizes me every time I switch between my '01 400 SX and it. Good Luck!

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Got a number 59007040100. Make sure you verify this # with your dealer because there are different seats for the SX vs. the MXC/EXC models. I paid less than $65 for mine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom