AKUTERRER

Aug 7, 2001
I got a prob of bulbs fusing out.A friend of mine suggested inserting a 20 ohms resistor to the "live" wire of the headlight to reduce the sudden surge in power.Any one knows wch wire is the "live" wire?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Are you having this problem with a EXC or a MXC?

The EXC has a voltage regulater and unless you wired the headlight into the system and somehow bypassed the regulater you shouldn't have a problem.
I was installing some heated grips the other day and accidently went around the regulater. The grips got real hot and the light was very bright.

I was told the MXC doesn't have the regulater and if this is true then it would blow the bulbs right away.

The only other thing is if you are not using the correct bulb or the regulater is burnt out.

AKUTERRER

Aug 7, 2001
Its an EGS model.There was 2 wires burnt so i cut them off and reconnect them and since then the bulbs kept fusing off.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I should have known it was the EGS when I saw your location.

Can you get a volt meter and check what the voltage is going to the lights? I would think that it has a 12 Volt system so anything over about 14 volts would be to high. If it is high then the voltage regulater is bad or the wiring is incorrect.

AKUTERRER

Aug 7, 2001
If the voltage is too high,what do u suggest i do?My friend suggested me installing a 20 Ohms resistor to the "live" wire.What do u think?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I think you should find out why the voltage is too high.

Is the regulater bad?
Why did the wires burn up in the first place?

The 20 Ohms resistor would only be a patch if it even worked. You really need to track down the actual problem.

AKUTERRER

Aug 7, 2001
the wires get burnt koz its shorted.Rained heavily and i only realised it was burnt the nxt day when the lights are not working.Where is the regulator?how does it look like?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
It is a box under the tank. It's held on by one bolt. I think your model may have some fins on it.

Check the voltage before you think of replacing it. They aren't cheap.

I wonder if the wires shorting out may have smoked the regulator?
If you don't know how to check the system or don't have the proper tools to do the job then you may want to have a shop check it out.

Top Bottom